Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Some advice on HD+partitions

ello.
i currently hav a 120GB HD bout 2yr old now and i hav XP home on it and bout 24GB left so im gonna get me another 120HD.

i was wondering wat would be better having 2 HDs 1 with xp other with my files? or having 1HD plus 2nd HD partitioned roughly in half to keep XP+programs seperated jus in case i want to reformat?

i really dont want to reinstall XP cause i got it jus the way i like it and the program files but is it possible to reformat the partitioned drive witout losing my files on the other partitioned part?

so if i partition it wit Partition Magic can i partition witout doing anythin to xp?, jus free up bout 60GB then run Magic to create a partition?

i will hav 230GB of storage and mainly i want to use the most out of it and i really dont want to backup my files everytime if i hav to reformat.

thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Some advice on HD+partitions
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Some advice on HD+partitions
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Some advice on HD+partitions

In reply to: Some advice on HD+partitions

My advise is simple.

1. Backup what you can't lose.
2. Partition as you see fit, but partitions do not assure your files will survive mishaps. If you don't believe this, I'll just wait a little longer.

My question is this -> Why are you formatting and reinstalling this OS? I have a XP Pro install that has been running for over 2 years. Seems stable to me. (and we have more at the office!)

Bob

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Some advice on HD+partitions

i dont want to reformat, like i said its jus the way i like it now, but i had prob last year in Nov wit XP crashing and it would boot up then see BSoD restart and begin this process again.(friend jus had same prob last week)so i got paranoid. only reformat solved my problem and i went thro hard process to recover my files by way of XP repair to get to files burn them then reinstall XP.

so since im gettin nu HD i thought y not hav XP+programs on 1 partition and some files on other half. it is possible to reformat jus the OS side and leave the other half wit my files right?

Collapse -

While such shouldn't go away, what's your backup plan if the files on another partition vanish?

As to your response, it's unclear what the error was so the format and reinstall was a solution at your current level of capability.

Some will repeat the behaviour that caused the issue such as install Kazaa or such on their machine. Those get to repeat the lesson.

Bob

Collapse -

Well wat i want to do is hav important files on slave HD and i will backup that regularly. and files on partition well it will be files i share and im not too bothered bout losin them if partition messes it up or something, but it would be nice to not hav to back up them files if i hav to reformat the HD later.

thanks for the speedy replies btw.

Collapse -

Bob is trying to warn you about using hard drives as backup. They fail whether they are partitioned into pieces or stand alone.

If you use partiton magic, "USUALLY" the outcome will be fine. I would not cut a drive into 2 pieces myself.
Use a new 3nd hard drive and don't use partition magic, just partition and format with XP drive management.

Yes you can save files on a different partition on the same drive other than C: and when you format c: they should still be there.
However there is no guaranteed that the partitions won't get hosed, or you might accidentally select the wrong partition to format at re-install. If the files are on a 2nd drive, I would disconnect the cable from it until after you have re-installed, therefore no error possible.

But, back up all essential data to other media, because hard drives will fail eventually.

Collapse -

thanks thats been informative.
iv been reading up on PM8, not so favorable so far. so im gonna put off partitionin the drive im gonna hav 120gig as 2nd drive+dvdrs thats enough for my files right now. evrytime i open explorer.exe and iexplorer.exe process maxes out so a reformat will be prefered l8r but i can live wit it a little longer.
thanks

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.