Linux forum

Alert

SolydXK Linux Updates

by itsdigger / April 19, 2014 3:43 AM PDT

A major up date was released Thursday . No need to reinstall anything, just update. It's pretty big , took me about 15 minutes. The new iso's will be released in a few days.

Digger

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SolydXK Linux Updates
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SolydXK Linux Updates
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
So how experienced are you with this and setting up
by Steven Haninger / April 19, 2014 7:52 AM PDT
In reply to: SolydXK Linux Updates

samba shares accessible from a Windows PC? This one's driving me nuts. I know I've done this and have a big bald spot on my head to prove it.

Collapse -
Not experienced at all ,
by itsdigger / April 19, 2014 7:59 AM PDT

There's some pretty sharp folks in the SolydXK forum that can probably help out.

Betcha' James knows Happy

Digger

Collapse -
Don't be a coward. Give it a shot
by Steven Haninger / April 19, 2014 8:06 AM PDT

I'm needing some help for an eventual project of setting up a streaming media server. Since you load tons of music on yours, I thought you'd have done that already. Anyway, I recall needing to use the command line to change ownership (chown) or some such. I've made an NTFS partition, added a share folder and tried to configure it for use but the config setting won't stick...or that's what appears to happen. When I revisit the settings there's no access expect by the owner. I've been trying this with Mint too and for some reason the setup screens aren't the same. I've given up for today...will try when sanity returns.

Collapse -
LOL , I don't even
by itsdigger / April 19, 2014 8:11 AM PDT

know what it is yet. Confused You guy's never told me I should. Been holding out on the newbie? Devil

Digger

Collapse -
chown
by James Denison / April 19, 2014 12:35 PM PDT

It can be used to change ownership, but there's a way that might be easier. Copy the files to a FAT32 partition. Change the name on the folder the old files are in. Create a new folder with the old username. Copy the files back to the new folder from FAT32.

If you want to try CHOWN;

"sudo chown your_username -R /home/your_username"

As for Samba, I use the network capable smb that comes in Mint, but when I loaded Samba and messed around with it some, I chose to not go any further with it.

Collapse -
We may be closer than you think
by itsdigger / April 20, 2014 1:13 AM PDT

I'm not sure yet if Samba would be a part of this , still investigating what is involved.
I'm thinking of becoming a server for SolydXK and am thinking about building one for the task but also James brought up a possiblility of using something like Go Daddy for this.

The Newbies still a little dark in this area.

Collapse -
Just started with SolydX
by Steven Haninger / April 19, 2014 9:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Hey Steve

after giving up with Mint 16...whatever version. I can create the shares just fine but it's the permissions that are giving me fits. Whatever I check returns to some default as soon as I look away. I can see the share on my Windows PC but have no access to it. I know about creating common users with Windows PCs but I think there is a way to just bring up an interactive login screen. I can't create the same account as the main one I use on my PC because it's two words with a space. Linux doesn't seem to allow spaces in usernames. I tried creating an account on the Linux machine matching an alternate profile on my Windows machine but still it no workee. Happy The eventual hope is that I can put together a Linux based server that can be placed in a school I help with whatever little tech support I can give. It would be used to replace a couple of aging XP embedded NAS devices that are accessible outside of the school. I wanted it to be capable of streaming live webcam video from the building as well. I'm way over my head here though. But, ya' gotta keep learning new stuff or...you die. Wink

Collapse -
Why not
by itsdigger / April 19, 2014 9:06 AM PDT

change the name on the windows account ?

Digger

Collapse -
nevermind
by itsdigger / April 19, 2014 9:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Why not

I read now that you did

Digger

Collapse -
I can see in the Ubuntu forums that I'm not alone
by Steven Haninger / April 19, 2014 9:44 AM PDT
In reply to: nevermind

Perhaps the NTFS partition is the problem. For some reason I though it would be better when working from Windows. I'll try an EXT type and see how that does. I didn't have this much trouble the last time but it's been several months. As we get older, newly learned stuff seems to fade more quickly. I can recall the house number from where I lived in the '60s but I can't remember my license plate # of my car for 30 seconds.

Collapse -
yep
by itsdigger / April 19, 2014 10:06 AM PDT

I know the feeling, It's not easy for me either , this is all new to me and I'm trying to learn it at 58. Having fun though Wink Odd too that you said you remember your address from the 60's as I remembered my high school locker combination a few weeks ago for some reason. Now those stupid numbers keep popping up Confused

Digger

Collapse -
Found this in the Mint forums
by itsdigger / April 19, 2014 10:21 AM PDT
Collapse -
Progress report...using Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
by Steven Haninger / April 21, 2014 10:39 AM PDT

I have found that if I create a separate primary partition on the same drive as /home, I'm able to create Windows shares using the samba service. The home folder occupies the entire partition. I have not tested this using a separate hard drive. Linux is one playground where a person can get roughed up big time.

Collapse -
there is an ubuntu "server" version available
by James Denison / April 21, 2014 11:01 PM PDT
http://www.ubuntu.com/download/server/install-ubuntu-server

https://help.ubuntu.com/12.04/serverguide/installing-from-cd.html

"" During the Server Edition installation you have the option of installing additional packages from the CD. The packages are grouped by the type of service they provide.

DNS server: Selects the BIND DNS server and its documentation.

LAMP server: Selects a ready-made Linux/Apache/MySQL/PHP server.

Mail server: This task selects a variety of packages useful for a general purpose mail server system.

OpenSSH server: Selects packages needed for an OpenSSH server.

PostgreSQL database: This task selects client and server packages for the PostgreSQL database.

Print server: This task sets up your system to be a print server.

Samba File server: This task sets up your system to be a Samba file server, which is especially suitable in networks with both Windows and Linux systems.

Tomcat Java server: Installs Apache Tomcat and needed dependencies.

Virtual Machine host: Includes packages needed to run KVM virtual machines.

Manually select packages: Executes aptitude allowing you to individually select packages.

Installing the package groups is accomplished using the tasksel utility. One of the important differences between Ubuntu (or Debian) and other GNU/Linux distribution is that, when installed, a package is also configured to reasonable defaults, eventually prompting you for additional required information. Likewise, when installing a task, the packages are not only installed, but also configured to provided a fully integrated service.

Once the installation process has finished you can view a list of available tasks by entering the following from a terminal prompt: .........."

I don't see where there's a big problem if only wanting to share folders between windows and linux computers on a LAN. I've had no problem with that since I started using Linux. Here I'm using Mint 16 and so I just opened the Shared Folders program available from the menu and shared my Downloads folder to my home Network.

http://glenburniemd.net/CNET/MintLinuxSharedFolder_2014-04-22_08-10-46.png

Here you can see that shared folder opened.

http://glenburniemd.net/CNET/CajaSharedSambaFolder_2014-04-22_08-14-55.png

This is me uploading these images to my server account using Caja file manager which also does FTP function so that I can access my godaddy server account just like I was accessing any folder on my hard drive.

http://glenburniemd.net/CNET/CajaFTPfunction2014-04-22_08-23-14.png

Finally, here you can see me accessing the Linux shared folder on a windows computer running XP.

http://glenburniemd.net/CNET/LinuxShareSeenOnWindows.jpg

It really can be just that easy. Took me less than 15 minutes to do all this, making quick screen captures, setting up the shared folder, uploading to the FTP server.
Collapse -
Here's a youtube on samba use in Mint
by James Denison / April 21, 2014 11:02 PM PDT
Collapse -
Yes, you the "user" must own what you "share"
by James Denison / April 22, 2014 6:46 AM PDT

For instance you can't share out a folder owned by "root". I don't think even gksu or sudo will allow you to do that, but I've not tried it yet. Any drive not part of the linux installed system would be like a USB flashdrive, open to anyone using the computer, or should be. If however one user "shares" that drive, but is inactive while another "user" is running, then that "share" disappears. What you'd do then is run both users at the same time, just be logged into the one you wanted, switch as desired between them.

Collapse -
Mount point seems to be involved as well
by Steven Haninger / April 22, 2014 7:25 AM PDT

I've been able to take ownership of folders on a secondary partition but could not share them on the network. The workaround has been to mount the partition as /home. I doubt if I can come up with a dual duty device for the school. A dedicated NAS to replace what they have would probably be a better choice but I think they're just going to have to come up with the bucks to buy a pre-made one with a good user friendly front and back end.

Collapse -
create a new user
by James Denison / April 22, 2014 10:19 AM PDT

You can have several users active on a computer and switch between them. One user can be devoted to the task you want, and you switch over to your own account for doing everything else.

Collapse -
A NAS doesn't run apps so that's not the purpose
by Steven Haninger / April 22, 2014 10:18 PM PDT
In reply to: create a new user

I am looking to see if it's practical to strip a Linux distro down to needed services to create a file server. The current open source NAS software seems to be FreeBSD based and prefers to run on a flash drive with HDs being used for shares. The ones I've tried have been found to be cumbersome for simple folk like myself. As such...and for the school...I only create protected shares for each staff member. Students get their own folder but don't all get unique passwords. You're asking for trouble by expecting a couple hundred kids to remember them.

Collapse -
I like Mint 16
by James Denison / April 19, 2014 12:50 PM PDT

I've not had the problems you seem to. You can open terminal and run

info smbd

get some information.

If you go to the location line in your file manager, if you put

smb:///

it should reveal your windows network

Collapse -
spaces
by James Denison / April 19, 2014 1:16 PM PDT
" I can't create the same account as the main one I use on my PC because it's two words with a space. Linux doesn't seem to allow spaces in usernames."

If you want a space, you precede it with a backslash.

For instance if you had a file named;

The Wild West.txt

on your computer. In Terminal if you wanted to see what's in the file you'd run

cat The\ Wild\ West.txt

for instance if I want to open the folder containing my VirtualBox VMs;

I might open terminal and put in the following

mint16@mint16 ~ $ cd VirtualBox VMs
bash: cd: VirtualBox: No such file or directory
mint16@mint16 ~ $ cd VirtualBox\ VMs
mint16@mint16 ~/VirtualBox VMs $

As you can see, just putting the space in there doesn't get me from my user folder into the subfolder, but putting a backslash first and then the space allows me to enter to subfolder.
Collapse -
I'll be tackling this next week and trying some different
by Steven Haninger / April 19, 2014 8:23 PM PDT
In reply to: spaces

distros to see which one works best for my purposes. I've the 3 Mint varieties, SolydX and K, and Kubuntu. Kubuntu is giving me the most grief at this point. All my other Linus .iso disks are too old to bother with so will be downloading and burning the latest. I've a test box with an Intel quad core processor that offers a fair enough amount of performance and a whole stack of older 80 gig drives that still work. What I'm wanting to be able to do is build a box with more than one drive. Linux will reside on one and another will be the share. I need to have ownership or complete privileges on the shared drive. I'd like to be able to authenticate directly from my own Windows account and interactively from other machines. I know how to do this with Windows networks but blended networks are a product yet to be conquered. As I mentioned in another post, the eventual use won't be for myself but in a school. It should be able to replace a rack mountable NAS there. An excellent addition would be if the new box could act as a media streaming device so that school projects or events could be broadcast. I'd need to find Linux encoders, trans-coders, etc. so some CPU power would be important. It would be a headless device so would be managed remotely or via console. Pie in the sky right now.

Collapse -
wow
by James Denison / April 19, 2014 10:22 PM PDT

You really are asking for grief, lol.

You could have the drive as a Windows share and it be password protected.

The easiest way to do that is to create a second user name and password which can be shared to others. You then boot into windows to that account, leaving it running, switch user to your private username and account. Anyone who is a member of that workgroup should be able to see the shared drive by the other user you created. Anyone with the second username and password if they set a connection to that workgroup should be able to access the drive. If there's a router in the way, then you'd need to DMZ to that drive. All that can be done without actually setting up a server. If you want a computer devoted just to that task, then you only need one user which boots from one drive, but you share out the other drive to the windows group, and it's username and password protected.

Collapse -
I currently can manage the two NAS devices from home
by Steven Haninger / April 19, 2014 11:10 PM PDT
In reply to: wow

...at least as far as shares and users go. I can't fix anything that's broken without using the console in the building. The router isn't accessible to me so my wife needs to contact a higher authority and beg. We have the NAS LAN addresses ported to external addresses now. These are XP embedded devices and easy for me to figure out. They are, however, getting ancient. The manufacturer's replacement for them comes with some windows home server so I suspect the number of connections allowed will be too limited. So, along comes LInux as a potential solution? Maybe and maybe not. I've played with Linux FreeNAS and don't care for it. Either that, or it doesn't care for me. In any event, we were able to (somewhat) successfully do a live webcam of some baby chicks hatching and link it to the school's website. That was a challenge with what we had but we got it to work. That ability has created some interest in expanding the streaming media idea. You can get into some expensive hardware and software with that adventure.

Collapse -
why not just load some server software?
by James Denison / April 20, 2014 9:37 AM PDT

Whatever you do with a server, I'd "sandbox" it by putting it in a Virtual Box and run it from there just like a "********" to keep anyone from getting past it into the main computer operating system, especially if running from a Windows computer. You can sandbox Ubuntu (or other Linux) on Virtual Box on a Windows computer and install server software to it. Apache is the most popular.

http://www.serverwatch.com/article.php/3900711/The-Top-10-Linux-Server-Distributions.htm

http://www.pcworld.com/article/204423/why_linux_beats_windows_for_servers.html

http://httpd.apache.org/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apache_HTTP_Server

Collapse -
I've always opted for;
by James Denison / April 19, 2014 10:32 PM PDT

paying godaddy $5 a month for a hosted Linux server account and just use FTP to setup what I wanted and give direct links to whatever I shared to someone. That's what I do for things I link here at CNET. For instance in the folder for CNET there, I have over 120 files I've used at CNET, which I link to in forum direct to the file, but I have the folder itself protected against direct access to view all the files at once.

If you go here you won't get into the folder.

http://glenburniemd.net/CNET/

However if I give you a direct file link like to these speedtest to various global areas, then anyone can access it.

http://glenburniemd.net/CNET/speedtest.jpg

I'd rather pay that low price for someone else to deal with it than do so myself.

Collapse -
New ISOs! for SolydXK
by itsdigger / May 3, 2014 2:03 PM PDT
In reply to: SolydXK Linux Updates
http://solydxk.com/news/

New ISOs!
Posted on May 2, 2014

You no longer need to enable legacy BIOS on your laptop: the new ISOs now all support EFI!
You still need to disable Secure Boot, though.

As a result, the multi-dvd will no longer be available. Currently, we're working on an easy way to create a multi-boot pen drive yourself.

These are some of the changes:
Home editions

The home editions include the latest Update Pack (201404)

KDE
KDE has been updated to version 4.12.4
Kernel
Kernel updated to version 3.13-1
Firefox and Thunderbird
Firefox has been updated to version 29.0, and Thunderbird to version 24.5

Both come with these add-ons:
- Locale Switcher to switch installed language packs.
- Firefox comes with Adblock Plus.
- Thunderbird comes with the Lightning Calendar, and more.
LibreOffice
LibreOffice has been updated to version 4.1.5-2.
Plymouth
The SolydXK Plymouth theme has been changed, and the Plymouth Manager has been adapted accordingly.

Business editions

The business editions have been updated with the latest security updates

Firefox and Thunderbird
Firefox ESR, and Thunderbird have been updated to version 24.5
Both come with the same extensions as the home edition versions.
Plymouth
The SolydXK Plymouth theme has been changed, and the Plymouth Manager has been adapted accordingly.

You can find more information, and download the ISOs on our product pages:
SolydK Business Edition: http://solydxk.com/business/solydkbe/
SolydK Back Office: http://solydxk.com/business/solydkbo/
SolydX: http://solydxk.com/homeedition/solydx/
SolydK: http://solydxk.com/homeedition/solydk/

For any questions or issues, please visit our forum: http://forums.solydxk.com/
It's a great Debian distro,
Digger
Collapse -
A tip, if you're trying to network these
by Steven Haninger / May 5, 2014 1:52 AM PDT
In reply to: New ISOs! for SolydXK

I was having trouble getting both of these to play nice with my Windows PCs. Stupid me forgot about firewalls. I believe the previous SolydX & K came with their firewalls disabled. These newer issues have them enabled.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!