HolidayBuyer's Guide

The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Solution to TV DRM Problems

by goodsand / May 3, 2006 7:12 AM PDT

Ok, with all of this controversy about TV fast forwarding, DRM, advertiments, etc... I decided to come up with the solution to fix this problem. If anyone steals my idea, you can say that you heard it from me first!

Step 1: TV Manufacturers (or caable company, which shall be known as content provider henceforth) develop a TV (or device) that can connect to a content provider with intellegent two way communication (via cable card, cable box, who cares as long as they talk). User purchases the equiptment needed.
Step 2: Content providers asks the users during initial sign up how many users are in the household. The users who are signing up know they are going to watch ads on television, but the cable companies want to focus ads that will capture the appropriate demographic for the ad being displayed. So, ONLY WITH USER CONSENT, the cable company asks a few generic questions about each viewer and assigns a PIN, jsut like an ATM card, to that user.
Step 3: User has equipment and service. User turns on TV and it asks for his/her PIN. This identifies the demographic of the watcher and alerts the system to display ads that the user will be interested in. After the pin is entered, the user can choose to watch the program split by ads, as they are today; or the user could watch the same amount and length of ads at the beginning of the program, then watch the complete show without interruption; or pay a fee to watch the show without ads.

This allows the content provider to get their monetary compensation for providing the show. The user will see ads that he/she is interested in get to watch the show.

I know I may get flamed for this, but if the ads are the chosen method of viewing, then the user cannot fast forward through them. They should be able to record/fast forward/rewind the show, but because they are choosing to accept the ads as a method of watching TV, then they must watch them. The user should still have the ability to record the show and take it wherever...and he/she should always be able to cut off the TV or switch to another program.

I think this is a plausible and fair resolution for both sides. I know it would never happen, but what do my 2c mean anyway...

Keep up the good work and let me know what you think of my solution!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Solution to TV DRM Problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Solution to TV DRM Problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Contract for watching TV with DRM
by sbrasch99 / May 3, 2006 8:16 AM PDT

Your contract failed to stipulate what the government/DRM penalty would be if a person failed to watch the commercial (ad). 10 years or live in jail or what?.

Sometimes I need to go to the outhouse.

Marc

Collapse -
Penalty
by goodsand / May 3, 2006 11:54 AM PDT

Ahh yes, the dreaded pirate jail time. Well, my assumption would have to be that there is no penalty since one could download/record/show the program whenever and to whomever, just as shows are done today; but one must always watch the commercials or have paid for the program to avoid commercials. In essence, there would be no pirate.

Only ninjas would exist. In there existance, they would steal the program you paid for and keep it for themselves.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.