Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Solution: Mozilla stops running.

I had the chance to get a dead Mozilla. In short, the fix was:

1. Delete \Program Files\Mozilla.org
2. Delete \Program Files\Common Files\Mozilla.org
3. Install Mozilla.

While successful, maybe someone else can narrow down what it was in particular, but it's running now...

Bob

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Solution: Mozilla stops running.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Solution: Mozilla stops running.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Solution: Mozilla stops running.

In reply to: Solution: Mozilla stops running.

Bob,

No solutions but some time back I got to the point that I no longer had the ability to uninstall Mozilla and all attempts to install again won't work. I've resorted to using Firefox.

I've noted that in \Program Files\Mozilla.org I have five instances of Mozilla folders possibly created each time I've tried to reinstall over whatever was there after uninstalls failed.

Do you know if I delete all you note if I'll still have everything running fine for Firefox which of course seems to have it's own directory as it should?

Collapse -
For William.

In reply to: Re: Solution: Mozilla stops running.

I'd have to know the directory names, but same as you I had Firefox as I was looking to fix Mozilla. It appears that some xp???.dll was at the root of the issue and not replaced by the Mozilla installer.

BUT the mozilla.org directories are not used by Firefox from what I recall.

Bob

Collapse -
Bob Proffitt...

In reply to: For William.

Thank you for your reply. I don't really need Mozilla and am sailing along just fine with Firefox, but I thought I might try to wipe out those directories for Mozilla you cited to see if I could then successfully install Mozilla once again.

I just did not want to mess up my Firefox installation in any way even though it is in it's own directory.

If I ever do, I'll try to post back the results.

William

Collapse -
Re: Solution: Mozilla stops running.

In reply to: Re: Solution: Mozilla stops running.

Bob,

Not that it matters, but my "solution" did not work.

Back to Firefox and probably better off for it since I have no need for more than just the browser.

William

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.