Storage forum

General discussion

Solid State Drives

by JSteinmetz / June 11, 2012 10:56 AM PDT

Hi, I have an older laptop, a HP Pavillion Ze2308WM. I'd like to get a Solid State Drive for it but I have no idea what sort of connection I would need. Can anyone help?

p.s. Yes, I know it's an old laptop but I just love it. Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Solid State Drives
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Solid State Drives
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sure. Tell us one thing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 11, 2012 12:08 PM PDT
In reply to: Solid State Drives

What drive is in there now? I can use that along with what OS you intend to install. Keep in mind that XP and Vista are a very bad idea for today's SSD drives.
Bob

Collapse -
My specs
by JSteinmetz / June 12, 2012 8:48 AM PDT

I have Windows Home Edition and the hard drive is 40GB (4200RPM) Hard Drive.

Does this help?

Collapse -
XP?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 13, 2012 1:05 PM PDT
In reply to: My specs

Given it's only 40GB I'm going to write it's likely to be XP.

You do not want to use XP on SSD unless you access it won't last long.
Bob

Collapse -
Not XP, it's 7
by JSteinmetz / June 13, 2012 7:46 PM PDT
In reply to: XP?

I used to have XP, I upgraded to Windows 7 Home edition when 7 first came out so I definately know it is Windows 7 (Sorry, I forgot my '7' in the previous post). lol

Collapse -
Re: connection
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 13, 2012 7:52 PM PDT
In reply to: Not XP, it's 7

The connection isn't determined by the OS. It's determined by the motherboard. So please have a look if it has SATA connectors or (only) IDE connectors.

I doubt you can find a SSD with IDE. And I doubt if an older laptop has SATA. So it may be a dead end.
But I'm sure you'll love your new laptop even more!

Kees

Collapse -
Use a tool
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 14, 2012 1:07 AM PDT

Like BELARC ADVISOR or EVEREST to list out what that 40GB HDD is. If you google that model you may find out it's IDE or SATA. These few details seem to be hard to find in your post.
Bob

Collapse -
Here are the results from Belarc & Aida64
by JSteinmetz / June 14, 2012 10:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Use a tool

Belarc Advisor results

39.90 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
6.54 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

TSSTcorp CDW/DVD TS-L462A ATA Device [Optical drive]

ST9402113A [Hard drive] (40.01 GB) -- drive 0, s/n 3LE0QZ7R, rev 3.02, SMART Status: Healthy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Aida64 Extreme Edition Reults

Device Properties:
Driver Description ST9402113A ATA Device
Driver Date 6/21/2006
Driver Version 6.1.7600.16385
Driver Provider Microsoft
INF File disk.inf

Disk Device Physical Info:
Manufacturer Seagate
Hard Disk Name Momentus 4200.2 402113
Form Factor 2.5"
Formatted Capacity 40 GB
Disks 1
Recording Surfaces 2
Physical Dimensions 100.2 x 69.85 x 9.5 mm
Max. Weight 102 g
Average Rotational Latency 5.6 ms
Rotational Speed 5400 RPM
Max. Internal Data Rate 386 Mbit/s
Average Seek 12.5 ms
Interface Ultra-ATA/100
Buffer-to-Host Data Rate 100 MB/s
Buffer Size 2 MB

Device Manufacturer:
Company Name Seagate Technology LLC
Product Information http://www.seagate.com/products

Collapse -
Yes, that's an IDE PATA drive.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 14, 2012 10:45 AM PDT
Collapse -
Thank you
by JSteinmetz / June 15, 2012 10:06 AM PDT

I will check into it. I appreciate the help. Also, I have Windows 7, not xp.

Collapse -
SSD wear leveling doesn't have to be automatic...
by Doh_1 / June 15, 2012 6:01 PM PDT

Intel has an SSD toolbox that allows you to run an "SSD Optimizer" that does not have any negative effect on the SSD, it just does the the wear-leveling, etc. that the TRIM command does (probably uses the TRIM command). So if you run this regularly, you could use an SSD with Windows XP (soon to be unsupported by MS) or Windows Vista, and the SSD would have a decent lifetime. I use this even with Windows 7, just to be sure that my SSD lasts as long as it can. I would use it more frequently with Windows XP, perhaps even if I deleted a very large file *smile*, which I sometimes do. I use VM's, and they generally have one humongous ".vmx" file that is several GB's.

You can even schedule the optimizer tool to run regularly, in case you don't remember to do it. So it can be done, but you have to take care to use the SSD Optimizer tool now and then.

Collapse -
Imagine your average comsumer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 16, 2012 3:31 AM PDT

And my thought is "not ready for prime time."

Collapse -
Not correct
by JSteinmetz / June 22, 2012 8:31 AM PDT

Well, that was a waste of shipping and handling. I received the ssd in the mail today, wasn't the right one again. I guess I am just going to give up on the idea. I can't afford to keep buying them and returning, it's costing me shipping and handling every time.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.