Storage forum

General discussion

Solid State

by eddyw / March 1, 2007 9:59 PM PST

Does anyone know what the size limits are with memory cards. Is it possible to make 100gb cards with the technology at it's present level? What size is the largest available at the moment? I am thinking of MP3 files that can only be stored on HDs (which are not fully reliable) for the bigger memory sizes.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Solid State
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Solid State
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Absolutely possible. Just bring money.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 1, 2007 11:29 PM PST
In reply to: Solid State

You can figure out the cost in a jiffy but you might not know to factor in mass production effects. There are those that will ask this but not get that last effect right.

Your comment about MP3 is odd. I don't have that issue nor anyone else I know. We put our collection on hard disks and it's good for many years. We also have backups so when a hard disk fails (rare!) we don't lose a thing.

Bob

Collapse -
Solid State
by eddyw / March 2, 2007 12:31 AM PST

I would like a solid state mp3 player where I could store all of my collection and any music I wanted to hear would be on hand. Hard disks are not reliable. I had a 15g HD player fail. I have had two computer HDs fail at the same time and cause a loss of 20 gigs of music. I hadn't managed to get the whole collection on disc before the failure. It takes a lot of Cd's to back up and even they are not 100% reliable and then you have to find the one you want. You can't always list everything on the cd. The memory cards seem the safest storage there is and if they were big enough I would rather use them for backup. The lifespan of Cd's can be much shorter than you think. DVDs haven't been proved yet either. Anyway the question I wanted answering is, how big will future solid state cards be? Will they be able to go as high as 100gb?

Collapse -
Ahh that issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 2, 2007 12:35 AM PST

Even solid state will not survive drops and theft. I ran into a fellow that "stored" their entire collection on their MP3 player. Their unit was dropped and that was that. Collection gone.

No backup so what could be done?

Are you trying to do that?

Bob

Collapse -
Solid State
by eddyw / March 2, 2007 2:37 AM PST

No. I want to be able to store onto a card which can be plugged into any player made to accept it. Anything physical like an mp3 player can be rendered useless by shock but that is not what I am after. I have so far only seen the 'smart' type card up to 2gig. I want to know if much bigger cards are possible. That's what I really want to know. May we see 80gig+ in the near future or is there some physical limit that will prevent cards storing that amount of data?

Collapse -
8G cards are avaialbe NOW.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 2, 2007 2:45 AM PST

And I think some Creative players support that TODAY.

Cheap compared to just 2 years ago. Maybe there is hope for what you wanted.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?