General discussion

SOLDIER STUNNED BY LETTER KIDS' RANTS

February 21, 2005 -- An American soldier overseas is fuming over letters he received from Brooklyn middle-school children accusing GIs of destroying mosques and killing civilians in Iraq.
Pfc. Rob Jacobs of New Jersey said he was initially ecstatic to get a package of letters from sixth-graders at JHS 51 in Park Slope last month at his base 10 miles from the North Korea border.

That changed when he opened the envelope and found missives strewn with politically charged rhetoric, vicious accusations and demoralizing predictions that only a handful of soldiers would leave the Iraq war alive.

"It's hard enough for soldiers to deal with being away from their families, they don't need to be getting letters like this," Jacobs, 20, said in a phone interview from his base at Camp Casey.

"If they don't have anything nice to say, they might as well not say anything at all."

the teachers a sob if i do say so

http://nypost.com/news/worldnews/40259.htm

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: SOLDIER STUNNED BY LETTER KIDS' RANTS
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: SOLDIER STUNNED BY LETTER KIDS' RANTS
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
It couldn't be that

teachers are using their position of trust to further their political and sexual agenda could it? I've never heard of that before. Happy And you wonder why people hate Liberals. Look up treason in the dictionary. Do you think the Liberal teacher gave aid and comfort to the enemy?

- Collapse -
the kids are repeating

what they hear at home and from at school

- Collapse -
Probably an assignment from some...

faciast Ward Churchill wannabe.

- Collapse -
I'm assuming that...

since the article only mentioned that a fraction of the kids wrote negative letters... that those responsible for the students skewed views are the parents and not the teacher.
And I wonder how many of the 6th graders got rewarded by their parents for writing such letters.

- Collapse -
i would be willing to bet

the parents of the muslum kids rewarded them but then thats just my opinion
and the teacher had to have read them

- Collapse -
It's been reported that teachers were giving this out as

assignments to the kids. One teacher was fired for it. Nice isn't it? Our friendly left wing educational establishment.

- Collapse -
The questions becomes

which assignments were to write letters or opinions, and accepted both good and bad, and which were urged directly or indirectly to write negatively.

In the linked article the principle was quoted as

"While we would never censor anything that our children write, we sincerely apologize for forwarding letters that were in any way inappropriate to Pfc. Jacobs. This assignment was not intended to be insensitive, but to be supportive of the men and women in service to our nation."

I guess that means he would have rather the letters be read and negative ones not sent with the rest.

We've had other articles where teachers appeared to refuse assignments that had views opposite the one they supported in class. The ones debated here were normally either policitally left, or downright anti-USA (not necessarily equilvalent things).

I'm not particularly surprised that One Muslim boy wrote: "Even thoe [sic] you are risking your life for our country, have you seen how many civilians you or some other soldier killed?"

His letter, which was stamped with a smiley face, went on: "I know your [sic] trying to save our country and kill the terrorists but you are also destroying holy places like Mosques."

I'm be willing to bet he heard that at home, relatives, and even at Mosque. It doesn't even mean the adults he heard were supporting terrorists, it just means they didn't like the war in Iraq.

My position on most items about that would probably differ from theirs, but as long as their not advocating violence against the USA or it's troops, that's allowed.

Even when I don't like it, and argue against expressions of it. Thats allowed to me.

In the past, I'm sure any such disapproving letters would have just have quietly disappeared from the pack. And probably the parents called for a conference too.

Now the question becomes, do we screen everything sent to and from soldiers and censor for moral damage as much as we do for security reasons?

We should keep our misgivings to debates here IMO. And perhaps parents, even ones that disagree with the war, should be sure to have their children understand regarding mail to troops be guided by the referenced old saw...... if you can't say anything good, just don't say anything. Hard to make children understand such while encouraging truth perhaps, but maybe it's time to revisit the civility of silence sometimes.

JMO

Roger

click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

CNET Forums

Forum Info