Linux forum

General discussion

Solarios

by tylersmiller / June 23, 2007 12:18 PM PDT

I have not tried Solarios yet, but ppl have told me it is really cool and impressive. Can you tell me why I would want to use this OS compared to other Linux and Windows OS?

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Solarios
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Solarios
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Solaris.
by 3rdalbum / June 24, 2007 1:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Solarios

The easiest answer is "If you have to ask, then you would be better off not using it."

But really, where are you proposing to use Solaris? If it's on an enterprise server, then yes; you may well be better off using Solaris. However, if it's an enterprise server, then you'll probably do some research yourself online or hire a consultant who will be able to recognise your needs and you won't need to rely on the word of a stranger sitting 10,000 kilometers away from you.

If, as I suspect, you want a desktop operating system, then you will be better off with Linux. Look at the post in this forum about ZFS, and you'll see the reasons that I have mentioned.

Don't get me wrong, there are OpenSolaris Live CDs which are kinda fun to play around with; but they are definately not for newbies at this stage.

Collapse -
thanks
by tylersmiller / June 24, 2007 2:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Solaris.

thanks for your responce. I planned to use that OS for desktop use. could you give me a link to a Live CD of Solaris? Where is the ZFS post?
Thanks

Collapse -
Good Solaris distribution
by 3rdalbum / June 28, 2007 11:40 PM PDT
In reply to: thanks
Collapse -
Blunt answer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 24, 2007 3:24 AM PDT

I found Solaris on the PC to be great if I was working with Solaris at work. I see no other reason to run it.

http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=major is ten Linux distros that should be what most run. To go off this list throws you into the 0.1 % group with small communities to ask questions of.

As to the ZFS discussion it's on this page today.

Bob

Collapse -
Solaris is definitely not LINUX
by randysvh / June 26, 2007 10:49 AM PDT

Using Solaris for work situation may be appropriate depending on your needs there, but for the home i would not consider it for a desktop platform. Solaris is first Unix, and although it has an extensive history, it is designed for server needs, and desktop situations as an add on. One of my complaints about Sun and their Unix systems is that they recognize issues, and problems with their system and usually are published in a book about 3/4" thick. The fixes you may never see unless they are serious.

Linux on the other hand especially the Ubuntu series are updated every 6 months and patches almost on a daily basis. It is kept current and the updates are almost automatic. Most of your currently popular versions of Linux are updated frequently. SUSE is another with almost daily patches.

Personally for the desktop, in the free category, PCLinuxOS, Kubuntu, Mephis, Mandriva, and SUSE. This is not to discount other free distributions. In the commercial category, i like Xandros, and Linspire. Xandros overall though is a favorite in many ways as it just is so complete and well done. It just seems so much more well honed and put together than other distributions.

You pick,
randy

Collapse -
How to use it.
by welrdelr / July 6, 2007 10:57 PM PDT

You will need a gigabyte of RAM for this project..
Option one: Install a linux system- I'll pick debian in this case- and install qemu and kqemu. Both of these will be in the repositories that you will need to add to the dselect/aptitude configuration.
Make the kqemu module a part of the boot process. Rewrite /de/shm to have 544M of RAM. Create a disk image next with a size of 10 to 20 gigabytes in the qcow format. Be sure that you will have this much real space on your harddrive. Install to image.
Option 2: Use Fedora as the base system and install using Xen. Set memory at 544 megabytes. Use a disk image of 10 to 20 gigabytes again. Fifteen may be a good number.
Option 3: If you can use KVM and follow the instructions in fedora to use it.
Option 4: hack virtualbox.
Option 5: hack vmware.
These will allow you to test a solaris installment without making it a true partition on your box.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.