PC Applications forum

General discussion

Software to prepare a purchase order

by ntadmin1 / August 14, 2006 3:29 AM PDT

We currently prepare a four part letter size purchase order when we order anything. This is typed by a clerk on a typewriter. I am looking for a program that will print us 4 copies of a purchase order on a laser printer. Any thoughts

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Software to prepare a purchase order
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Software to prepare a purchase order
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Any windows program ...
by Kees Bakker / August 14, 2006 4:25 AM PDT

after using File>Print will offer you the opportunity to specify the number of copies. So, unless you want them marked (like "original", "copy 1", etc) any Windows program will do.

Most printer drivers, in fact, will let you specify the number of copies to print by default. So if you make a printer called "print_4_times", and use that it might be even easier. But it only makes sense if the application program has a setting somewhere for the printer to use.

You might like to start thinking about the other features your program should have, like:
- fill in the blanks lay-out
- attached database of suppliers
- automatic numbering of purchase orders
- preferred suppliers for each article
- database of prices, rebates and contracts and other stuff to be printed on the purchase order
- logging of purchase order into your bookkeeping application
- possibility to order by email, fax or Internet (using some standard protocol)
It all depends on the scale of your purchase department, I'd say.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
by ntadmin1 / August 15, 2006 4:07 AM PDT

Our boss does not want a "home grown" design. He is looking for software that could be loaded on a PC that would be secure. If we use office software we could do what you are saying, however any body could print out P.O.'s which is the issue.

Thanks

Collapse -
Re: answer
by Kees Bakker / August 15, 2006 6:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Answer

This is a new requirement. Better specify everything when issuing a request for proposal for an application program!

Most serious business applications have some form of access control with usernames and passwords. So you must be able to find something, I'm sure. This forum is meant more for personal software than for business software, so I doubt if you'll get satisfactory answers here. You can try the Small Business forum, maybe. Otherwise, keep searching (using google maybe) or check with companies comparable with yours.

Good luck,

Kees

Collapse -
If you have MS Office
by TONI H / August 19, 2006 12:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Answer

You could manually create your purchase order 4-part form by typing it once like you already do, then save it as a template. Once it's saved then you could password protect that template document so nobody could open it unless they had access to that secured password.

Just about any word processing program would give you the ability to create that template and windows would provide you with the ability to password protect it.

TONI

Collapse -
QuickBooks?
by VT-hedonist / August 16, 2006 1:55 AM PDT

I think that QuickBooks has the ability to prepare POs. I haven't used it, so can't comment on its functionality or security.

Collapse -
Help with PO's
by January8 / October 9, 2007 4:23 AM PDT

Quickbooks is great for creating PO's. If you are looking to do "a little more", try www.AaaTex.com - They are a Gold Member and may be just what you are looking for.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!