Photo Editing & Graphic Design forum

General discussion

software help

by lyntaz / September 30, 2009 8:02 PM PDT

Hi
Please can someone help me. I got lazy when putting photos on my pc, scanned a couple fo thousand also. Seems I now have quite a few duplicates. Are there any free programs out there that will find and remove them for me? Dont fancy sitting here for hours doing it.

Also I am after a program that will let me put a name stamp on the corner of photos. Something that is easy to use and will do several pics at once.

Many thanks in advance Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: software help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: software help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: duplicates
by Kees Bakker / September 30, 2009 8:13 PM PDT
In reply to: software help

What's your criterion to see they are duplicate. Such as:
- filename
- filesize
- creation date
- etc?
In other words: how would you do the cleaning if you had to do it yourself?

Kees

Collapse -
images
by lyntaz / September 30, 2009 8:43 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: duplicates

If I was to do this myself I would just sit there and look at the images, just thought there might be a program that would do this for me. Not really clued up on this type of stuff.

Collapse -
But that would be difficult.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 30, 2009 11:20 PM PDT
In reply to: images

I can't think of any software that is able to scan two images side by side and tell you for certain that they are the same. The parameters are so varied.

For example, what if one image had a border, and the other did not, or if one image was larger than the other, or slightly lighter/darker, than the other.

If this were me, I would start myself a project, to be carried through in my spare time, cataloging all my photos into different folders and sub-folders, and that would eventually and hopefully, narrow them down so I could see duplicates much more easily.

Mark

Collapse -
Re: software help
by flipbookguru / October 12, 2009 11:36 PM PDT

Hi lyntaz,

I cannot think of any software that can compare 2 photos and highlight the duplicates.

However, you may want to try FlipAlbum, as it allows you to go through many pictures on a page. You can select the number of pictures you would like to automatically import to a page, or you can simply go to the auto-generated thumbnail overview to scan through the pictures. I would presume your duplicate pictures are relatively close to one another, in terms of the filename, file date or creation date as you can sort the pictures using those parameters.

FlipAlbum Vista Pro also allows you to watermark all of your pictures at one go with text or picture, i.e., during the pop-n-play encrypted album CD creation process.

For your info., there is a free trial copy at http://www.flipbookguru.com

I hope this meets your needs.

Collapse -
Duplicate file finder
by saprising / November 18, 2009 3:32 AM PST

If the scans are really the same, a program such as Duplicate File Finder should work. I like this one that works great on graphic files:
http://dff.nazrashid.com/

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?