HolidayBuyer's Guide

Office & Productivity Software forum

Question

Software for medium sized business?

by JFA94 / August 18, 2014 6:23 AM PDT

Hi,
I manage a medium-sized manufacturing business (about 200 employees) and I'm looking to implement a series of softwares (accounting, HR, production, quality control, etc.) in order to make my business more standardised and efficient. Ideally, I want softwares that work well together and create a decent communication between different departments. Do you have any software that you recommend?
If so, please explain why.
Thank you very much!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Software for medium sized business?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Software for medium sized business?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
What do you use now?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 18, 2014 6:34 AM PDT

And at that size it's not only the software you are asking but will it be cloud, server or such based.

Most companies form a small committee or task the IT to get it done.
Bob

Collapse -
Nothing special
by JFA94 / August 20, 2014 5:02 AM PDT
In reply to: What do you use now?

I use Contpaq for accounting, a local software called Stratec for management, and another local software called FutureSQC for quality control.

But the idea is to do a complete overhaul and install new software for every department. I would like to install new software in these different departments: sales, management, engineering, customer service, production, purchases, quality, and storage (warehouse). Maybe accounting, but I'm pretty happy with Contpaq.

To be perfectly honest, I don't know much about software and the differences between cloud and server based softwares. If I had to take a guess I'd say server based is cheaper, so I'd probably go with that. But, again, I have no idea.

Also, I really want to choose the softwares myself and then ask IT to do the rest.

Thanks again!

Javier

Collapse -
I fear this may not end well.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 20, 2014 5:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Nothing special

It's like you picking the surgical procedures and asking the doctor to do them. Your IT or committee should have more exposure to your needs and what software is out there. Include them early.
Bob

Collapse -
Yeah, you're probably right
by JFA94 / August 20, 2014 5:17 AM PDT

I'll ask IT to it.

But still, I'd like to know what the "ideal software" is for each department to be able to compare what they choose.

Cheers,

Javier

Collapse -
My ideal software won't fit your needs.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 20, 2014 5:26 AM PDT

At our office, servers, sync, project management, Visual Studio and such are our core components. To find ideal, there would be some metrics laid out. But most offices are run by the boss who often overrides any decision (well discussed how that turns out.) But early involvement has always been where I see the best long time results.

The direction I see here can result in the old square peg round hole problem. Hammers can come in handy but painful to all.
Bob

Collapse -
Then I guess I'll have to trust IT to do a good job.
by JFA94 / August 20, 2014 7:19 AM PDT

Thank you very much any way!

Javier

Collapse -
Sorry. But...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 20, 2014 7:41 AM PDT

I think most would never let them lose with a blank check. I think we would sound them out to see what they think would be great.
Bob

Collapse -
There is no ideal software.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / August 20, 2014 5:33 AM PDT

- The only ones that say so are the makers.
- Software that's good for one company does not need to be good for other companies, even within the same industry.
- Much depends on how the software is configured and customised and what additional custom software is programmed.

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
Use cloud MRP software
by MRPEasy / August 27, 2014 5:52 AM PDT

Hi,

As you have manufacturing company, use cloud MRP (Manufacturing Resource Planning) SaaS (Software as a Service).

I would recommend to use some proven MRP SaaS, because it is much more cost effective, than to install something to your servers.

They usually include all what MRP2 standard requires, like
- material requirements planning;
- equipment load management;
- workforce management;
- cost control;
- CRM;
- standard accounting.

You can try for example such MRP software like www.MRPEasy.com, which is simple and in cloud. I am a co-founder of this provider, do not hesitate to ask any more information.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.