Web Hosting, Design, & Coding forum

General discussion

Software for image manip. & web design AND camcorders?

by LVDaniels / January 24, 2006 5:25 AM PST

Hi- I'm looking for software that can pull double duty, one that can help me edit my own home movies as well as manipulate images for use on my websites. (Maybe a cross between Sony Vegas and Fireworks?). Is there one out there that will accomplish both tasks, and what kind of price range/quality/etc would I be looking at?

I have a new gateway notebook with XP home. My quirky requirements would be :

**I specifically need to have software capable of extracting still images from a .avi format and convert them to .jpg (or similar) as my sondy dcr-hc21 doesn't have a memory stick.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Software for image manip. & web design AND camcorders?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Software for image manip. & web design AND camcorders?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A possible solution
by Sovereign Forum moderator / January 27, 2006 6:30 AM PST

I'm a huge Nero fan, and they have just come out with Nero 7. Nero has a variety of programs, if you buy the bundle. From video/picture/audio editing to a media center. Personally I do like Adobe Photoshop CS for picture editing, but you said you need something that could do everything you mentioned. I have the software, so if Nero 7 would be something you'd consider I'd be more then happy to try certain things you want to know, and I will let you know if it's possible and how good it is.

Collapse -
Thanks for the response!
by LVDaniels / January 28, 2006 11:12 AM PST
In reply to: A possible solution

That's very kind of you! If you happen to be messing around with your software and come across a still-image extraction feature, I'd be very interested to know about it. In fact, there were a couple of us over on the Camcorders forums (who have the Sony DCR-HC21) all wondering about this type of software. It's kind of disappointing that Sony advertised a feature on their camcorder but then provided no software to actually use it.

I'm looking at the Studio 8 bundle from Adobe, so when I call them Monday I'm going to see what they have to say about the new Fireworks, and some day soon I would like to get Photoshop anyways. Thanks for the response!

Collapse -
It's called -Nero Vision-
by Sovereign Forum moderator / January 28, 2006 12:33 PM PST

With that program you can add video files, or even directly capture a video from an external source, and when you add the file to the project, there is a SNAPSHOT button, which takes a picture of the image that is currently displayed in the preview window. The picture is then saved in PNG format on your hard drive (you can change the format in the settings). Since the video was a 640x480, the picture was 640x480... I would imagine if you had a higher resolution video, it would take a higher resolution picture.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?