Mac OS forum

General discussion

Software for downloading vinyl recordings to IMAC

by bob7415 / July 13, 2010 10:16 PM PDT

Recently purchased a new SONY turntable to download vinyl recordings to my IMAC. Software included in the SONY packaging is only for PCs. Understand there is a free software download to use for MAC computers, but I can't recall the web address. Can you advise ?? Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Software for downloading vinyl recordings to IMAC
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Software for downloading vinyl recordings to IMAC
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try Audacity
by Jimmy Greystone / July 13, 2010 10:45 PM PDT

Try Audacity. Pretty sure they have a Mac version. If not, any sound recorder will do.

Finally, Mac is not an acronym like PC, so does not need to be capitalized. It's short for Macintosh, like the type of apple... And yes, it's a really dumb joke, but I'm sure back in the early 80s it seemed a lot funnier.

Collapse -
X2 for aduacty
by brlarson / July 14, 2010 7:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Try Audacity

I use audacity (have it running right now) to import cassette tapes. it is free and will import whatever you have plugged in. I have used it for over 500 tapes with great results.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/mac

Collapse -
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-4_102-0.html?threadID=401373
by bob7415 / July 14, 2010 10:00 AM PDT
In reply to: X2 for aduacty

I have downloaded the audacity software package and now that it is on my desktop, I have no idea what I'm suppose to do next. The instructions leave much to be desired for someone like myself who is not computer literate. Anyone want to step up to the plate??? Whatever, I'd be most appreciative. Thanks

Collapse -
step by step
by brlarson / July 14, 2010 10:33 AM PDT

Ok, you are right, it is not as easy as it could be (but it has lots of cool features).

I am presuming you have the player (tape, record, or whatever) plugged into the LINE IN on your Mac.
Open Audacity, then choose preferences.
choose the setting you want (quality, sample rates, auto save time, etc) the big thing is to choose the source as the LINE IN.
Side bar this is where you set the source so if you need to record the audio out (say to record a DRM audio file for personal use) this is where you change it.

Start you source. To record press the button with the red circle, you should see the wave form of the audio (blue). Adjust the record volume (slider with the mic icon) so that the blue rally touches the top (to prevent clipping) but is as high as works.

Once you find that spot, stop the source and the recoding (stop button) close the small X on the left (not the whole program just the audio track). Rewind the souce and hit play and record.

once your source is done stop the recoding and edit the audio to your liking (play around to figure it out and gt it how you like it). I trim the ends (extra blank parts) and do a noise removal.

To save, go file export (single) and choose your setting and name the file.

Enjoy the new file.

Once you master the basics you can add track markers (command B) and then export multiple tracks from one recoding (like to split a tape into each song).

hope this helps.

Ben

Collapse -
by bob7415 / July 14, 2010 10:15 PM PDT
In reply to: step by step

BEN - Many thanks for your clear and detailed instructions. I'll try it out later this morning. Seems 'easy' as I read your note. I'll let you know how I made out.

Bob

Collapse -
have fun
by brlarson / July 15, 2010 1:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Reply

What I did was start with a junk file and just play around with it. I found that if I goggled my questions (ie how to remove tape hiss with audacity) that I found good advice.

Once you try it is not that hard (it is easy for my now). You will find that Audacity is a very powerful program.

One thing no one mentioned is that you could use garage band (I don't because I was use to Audacity on a PC).

have fun and ask questions!

Ben

Collapse -
PS
by brlarson / July 14, 2010 10:34 AM PDT

did you need help using it or installing it? I assumed that you had installed it in my last post.

Collapse -
To All ! ! ! !
by bob7415 / July 16, 2010 6:49 AM PDT
In reply to: PS

My thanks go out to everyone that wrote to me re my problem with recording vinyl records to a MacBook. After reading Ben's comments and suggestions and multiple starts and stops, everything fell into line and I was able to record 2 of my 40+ albums I want to put on a H/D. 38 to go !!!!

Now that I know what I'm doing "it's easy" .

Thanks to all.

Collapse -
Great!
by brlarson / July 16, 2010 7:12 AM PDT
In reply to: To All ! ! ! !

glad to help, now try a few settings and see which is the best.

with this you can do anything with a line out! (I use it at church to record the sermons etc).

Collapse -
(NT) Good to hear
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 16, 2010 10:03 AM PDT
In reply to: To All ! ! ! !
Collapse -
X3 for Audacity
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 14, 2010 9:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Try Audacity

and, believe it or not, the Mac was indeed named after the fruit of the same name but with a slight spelling change.

The fruit is spelled McIntosh while the computer is Macintosh. The spelling was changed for legal reasons.

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?