HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

Question

Software and computer equipment HELP

by lizzett723 / June 12, 2014 5:37 PM PDT

Hello,

what is someone referring to when they ask this question: "What kind of software and computer equipment do you have?"

I'm not ver computer savvy. This is for a job. Please help!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Software and computer equipment HELP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Software and computer equipment HELP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
It is a basic question
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 12, 2014 6:09 PM PDT

It's a basic kind of question. What part of it are you unsure about?

At home, do you have any computers? If so, what do you have and what are they used for?

I assume this means "at home". What type of job?

Mark

Collapse -
Answer
Re: equipment
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 12, 2014 7:03 PM PDT

Just tell what you have.

If it's a question for a job requiring extensive use of Excel on a Windows PC and you answer that have an Xbox with 3 games and an iPad that you use to view movies and skype, you're less likely to get the job than if you say you have a PC with Windows 8.1 update 1 and use MS Office 2013 on it every day.
If it's for a job as a barista with Starbucks it's not a reasonable question to ask.

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
they want to know
by James Denison / June 14, 2014 4:34 AM PDT

what your operating system is and not just windows but which version, or if you may use Linux instead and what distro?

They want to know what added programs you use, such as Microsoft Office, Open Office, Libre Office, Photoshop and so forth.

Computer equipment can be as simple as maker and model number. If special build, then more involved such as motherboard maker and model number and amount of RAM installed.

that's the basics.

Collapse -
Answer
I know someone will take this the wrong way, but
by Jimmy Greystone / June 14, 2014 7:54 AM PDT

I know someone will take this the wrong way, but if you're in over your head on an interview question, odds are you won't stand a chance in the actual job.

I don't mean that as any kind of pejorative statement against the OP, we all have our strengths and blind spots, and I'm a firm believer that with a little time and effort, people can be trained how to do almost any job. Problem is, no one wants to invest in training people anymore because employees are seen as a disposable commodity and everything is about meeting short-term fiscal goals. Training budgets are often one of the first things to get the axe, despite the fact that they're the thing that allows a company to maintain any level of long-term sustainability. Who here hasn't worked at a place where only one person knew how some process worked, then they quit or are laid off and everyone's left trying to reverse engineer that person's job.

Given the unfortunate short-sighted nature of the business world today, the OP might well be better served by simply cutting his/her losses and moving on to another company.

Collapse -
Answer
For a job you say ???
by eddaly1 / June 21, 2014 5:02 AM PDT

tell them you have a Cray 9000 running at 1.8 billion teraflops per second...that'll impress them.

Collapse -
Answer
Download and run Belarc Advisor....it will give you
by VAPCMD / June 21, 2014 5:10 AM PDT

everything you need to know about the hardware and software on your PC.

And you can save and print it out if you want.

The are many many similar programs but try Belarc Advisor and see if that gives what you need/want.

VAPCMD.

PS...Your product manuals should give you the same info too if you have them.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.