Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

soft

Hello!
I was asking on other places, but I`m gathering the different opinions.
I`m working in the middle size business. We`re looking for shared storage I`m considering what iSCSI solution is better if compare of price and functionality - software or hardware? And what vendor is more reliable?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: soft
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: soft
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
How Much Storage? What Is Its Use?

In reply to: soft

Generally, hardware works best for most companies. A shared server is cheapest and allows for easy backups and easy setup.. A fairly inexpensive computer with expandable hard drive slots allows you to increase the amount of storage when the needs arise.

And it also allows for the use of a variety of operating systems depending on the familiarity of your staff with those OS.. Linux, Windows, Windows Server, etc. Much will depend on exactly what you want to do with the storage and access to it.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Capacity Needed?

I agree with Griff on this one. For simplicity go with hardware. Set up a box on the network with the capability to grow the HDDs. Depending on the amount of storage you need I would tend to think this could cover a medium size business. Another benefit is that this storage is in your complete control with reliability and speed both being optimized since it is physically on your network and you do not have to reach out over the web. Good Luck!

JJ

Message was edited by: admin to remove signature linkw which is prohibited in these forums. Note to JJ, please use your CNET profile for this. Thanks!

Collapse -
That url.

In reply to: Capacity Needed?

JJ I have asked Lee to remove the url you posted to your web site.

No more urls please. These forums are not here to advertise your business.

Mark

Collapse -
Re: soft vs. hard

In reply to: Capacity Needed?

Thanks, but I think I need more thin management. Anyone?

Collapse -
Still No Answers From You Regarding Specifics

In reply to: Re: soft vs. hard

How much storage? Where is the company located? UK, U.S., Saudi Arabia?

How is the shared storage to be used?

What do you mean by "thin management"?

And you'll always get different opinions about this issue.. Only you and your company can decide which works best for their needs, of which you've not told us much.

Hope this helps and let us know more.

Grif

Collapse -
to Grif Thomas

In reply to: Still No Answers From You Regarding Specifics

Shared storage will use for saving information(data, doc files, img files), and sharing it among the clients. I think it`ll be about 16TB. Under thin management I meen flexibility, usability, etc. of me storage. What difference can make where is my company situated? Certainly choice prerogative lies on me, that is why I`m asking here, where the experience people are.

Collapse -
The Difference Where Your Company Is Situated...

In reply to: to Grif Thomas

..is of MAJOR concern for those countries which limit network access, have higher number of security issues, or highly monitor your data transfer, etc. It also matters in regards to the vendor availability whether you're in the U.S., UK, etc. For most main stream countries, you can contact a vendor to set you up quickly with a simple telephone call, and there will be lots of choices as to who you use.. In the middle of Angola, you might have a little more difficulty. It's your choice as whether you want to inform us about such.

Since you're only going to be saving and sharing standard files on the shared drive, then my opinion is that a hardware server is your best bet. The vendor of your choice will recommend their options for installation and backup of all the data. Contact a few and get their quotes.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
to Grif Thomas

In reply to: The Difference Where Your Company Is Situated...

Collapse -
I Agree A Hardware Server Is In Order

Now you only need to identify local vendors in Sweden whom you trust.. Sorry, I'm not familiar with such in your country.

Hope this helps and take care.

Grif

Collapse -
to Grif Thomas

In reply to: I Agree A Hardware Server Is In Order

Oooopps! Apologies. The price is 6,5 minimal for pretty functional solution. I really think there can cheaper.

Collapse -
(NT) Your Choice.. Remember, Cheaper Isn't Always Better...

Collapse -
Thanks for you responces

After I`ve gathered all of suggestions I've tested some solutions and found that StarWind 5 is best for me, as SMB representative.

Collapse -
(NT) Good Job & Thanks for Posting Back !

In reply to: Thanks for you responces

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.