HolidayBuyer's Guide

Speakeasy forum

General discussion

soda cans

by James Denison / March 30, 2010 10:30 PM PDT

Anyone a fan of today's soda cans? I rarely drink from one, preferring to buy in a recapable plastic bottle. A few days ago however I wanted a soda and the only type available at the time were in vending machines and all cans. I had a chance to remember WHY I quit using canned drinks again. This particular can was so flimsy you couldn't even lift it without crinkling in the side some. I guess the carbonation pressure helped keep it from doing that before it was sold. Then there is the opener on them. Some stupid little tab that you don't pull off, but press in and then have to wiggle back and forth to make it pop off so it won't be irritating you when you slobber from the can. I say "slobber" because listening to others also, that's about the best description of the sound made by most drinking from the cans. After getting the stupid little figure eight metal piece off, you realize the metal tab it pushed down didn't go all the way back and is blocking the soda from coming out like I'd prefer, probably adding to the slobber sounds. Does the indignity end there? No, I realize the top of the can is beveled inward, so it's smaller than the circumference of the can. After some contemplation I finally decide maybe it's to add some strength to the top of the can for stacking in trucks to deliver, but not really sure why it's that way. For lip feel maybe? If so, it fails. Seems designed to allow some dribble to make it past the lower lip to run onto the chin. After being tired of hearing it crinkle every time I picked it up, I just poured it into a cup instead.

I began thinking how some things are not consumer driven changes. I remember the old steel cans with the metal pull ring that fully removed all the metal from the opening, which certainly seemed a better design to drink from. A drinking opening quickly cleared, a sturdy can, and for those so inclined, pull tabs they could save for various crafts. As for the old argument that the pull tabs were tossed out and affecting wildlife, I wonder how many do like me and wiggle the current metal piece off anyway?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: soda cans
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: soda cans
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The way things were.
by James Denison / March 30, 2010 10:50 PM PDT
In reply to: soda cans

Some Australian cans similar to our old cans, except 13oz instead of 12.

http://67.18.219.83/image_hosting/web_pages/oman222/375mL__Regular_Cans/13oz_Melbourne_ThickSteel.JPG

http://67.18.219.83/image_hosting/web_pages/oman222/375mL__Regular_Cans/13oz_Its_The_Real_Thing_Bris.JPG

Showing a pull tab.
http://www.bootsnall.org/datw/archives/pulltab.jpg

Steel beer can
http://cdn3.ioffer.com/img/item/992/173/92/5579_1.JPG

One so Josh won't complain about the competitor cans above.
http://www.usasoda.com/images/pepsi15.JPG

Was it really so bad? No, I don't believe so. Killed by "feel gooders". Bring it back!
http://wpcontent.answers.com/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a2/Beverage_pull_tab.jpg/120px-Beverage_pull_tab.jpg

I love the alibaba description of "easy open". Somewhere in the world, people still get to use these type cans with pull tabs.
http://img.alibaba.com/photo/271408563/206_Ring_Pull_Tab_easy_open_lids.summ.jpg

Collapse -
Other "recycling" uses for pop cans
by Steven Haninger / March 31, 2010 3:21 AM PDT
In reply to: The way things were.

When I was stationed in Texas, we'd save these for target practice. There was a nearby outdoor shooting range with a high dirt bank just past the 100 yd mark from the firing line. Glass wasn't permitted but we killed plenty of steel cans out there on a weekend afternoon. At least they got used several times before being tossed. Those cans brought us plenty of fun when we were younger folks.

Collapse -
Rarely even buy it anymore
by Steven Haninger / March 30, 2010 10:53 PM PDT

I've discovered that water takes away thirst better. If I have a carbonated beverage it's probably going to be some kind of ginger ale. I prefer to drink from a glass or glazed earthenware cup of some kind. I agree with the flimsy design and push in tab. One can easily cut themselves. I remember I guy I worked with a while back that was phobic about the health hazards when drinking from cans. He'd always rinse the top and take a tissue to wipe the inside of that little groove on the top edge and then look at the tissue. If any dirt showed, he'd repeat the process. He showed me once how much crud gets into these things. It's been a while since I've purchased soda at all.

Collapse -
Those old tabs were a litter hazard...
by EdHannigan / March 30, 2010 11:09 PM PDT

I used to see them on the ground everywhere. I like the "new" design better. The aluminum IS flimsy, but it doesn't bother me usually.

I drink too much (diet) soda, but I also cash in the cans so I'm glad they are lightweight.

Collapse -
also darned dangerous
by jonah jones / March 31, 2010 12:45 AM PDT

i still have a scar on my foot where i trod on one at the beach

sand+salt water? big OUCH!

Collapse -
don't they pay recycle by the pound?
by James Denison / March 31, 2010 2:53 AM PDT

Wouldn't it be better if they were heavier, due to being thicker construction?

Collapse -
They pay by the deposit amount...
by EdHannigan / March 31, 2010 6:30 AM PDT

nickel a can. We buy them in NH (no deposit law) and redeem them in VT. Aside from that, yes, it would be per pound.

Collapse -
I like the way you think Ed
by JP Bill / March 31, 2010 6:50 AM PDT

We buy them in NH (no deposit law) and redeem them in VT

I also cash in the cans so I'm glad they are lightweight.

You're just like a Union/Government, but on a smaller scale.

Collapse -
Recycling and cost factors
by Willy / March 31, 2010 2:10 AM PDT

I don't know if the bottled plastic canisters aren't getting flimsy too. They are made to be crushed in order to be recycled just like the metal. As for the older can type, well I still have them resurface here at the homestead on days long before recycling and means everything was dumped. The only parts remaining is the aluminum tops&bottoms and tabs plus some minor iron encrusted with the aluminum tops&bottoms. The whole idea was to make the can itself less costly, thus thinner sides(all one unit) retain tab and be easily crushed. Alot of thought went into the development of that soda can, so understand if things had to change. And yes, I have come home and found an empty due to punctured side or during cooler stay gets nicked. Its better than finding tabs all over the place and the cans as well. That trash pile I mentioned is still popping up items after 40yrs. of use. People are pigs, just walk along any well traveled road. Heaven forbid you walk a road only a 1-2mi. from a fast food place. -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Money is the root of all evil
by C1ay / March 31, 2010 2:28 AM PDT

Stackable flimsy cans are cheaper than the alternatives...

Collapse -
Sturdy cans had another use
by Angeline Booher / March 31, 2010 2:58 AM PDT

However, it was in the day when kids wore sturdy shoes.

Step on the can, then hammer those sides around the soles. Bilaterally.

The finished product was the source of good loud entertainment as we stomped along the sidewalks.

Disclaimer: Not for indoor use. Will not work on tennis shoes. A variety of cans can be used besides sofa cans.

Angeline

Collapse -
(NT) Been there, Done That ;)
by JP Bill / March 31, 2010 3:05 AM PDT
Collapse -
thanks
by James Denison / March 31, 2010 3:07 AM PDT

I'd forgotten about that bit of fun. Happy

We'd also flatten them that way. Stomp on the sides to pull the tops toward each other, then on the tops to flatten completely. Made recycle bags a lot smaller, even if heavier.

Collapse -
Made "shingles" for clubhouses.... or more?
by Angeline Booher / March 31, 2010 3:49 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks

Then had to remove both lids. Then flatten by your method. Nail on a la shingles.

The old ones used to rust, but lasted for a good while.

I'd heard that even grown ups used them for emergency roof repairs. Happy

Angeline

Collapse -
Cast-offs get re-used
by Willy / March 31, 2010 4:26 PM PDT

Used soup can(any can) lids to seal against mice and the like. They seems perfect for the job. As for plastic, I use some milk jugs for yellow jack traps, etc. It's nice to know that another can befall a typical cast-away item, but usually that's few and far in between. What about old chewing gum re-uses? -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.