Speakeasy forum

General discussion

So, you think your head is exploding?

by David Evans / March 29, 2004 2:52 PM PST

Don't worry, Exploding Head Syndrome is harmless.

Now a related condition -- Varicose Head Syndrome -- can be annoying but it's one step below Exploding Head Syndrome, so for those affected I say just get a bigger hat (and smaller ego, and perhaps a me-ectomy) and don't worry about it.

DE

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: So, you think your head is exploding?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: So, you think your head is exploding?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:So, you think your head is exploding?
by IanC_OZ / March 29, 2004 6:40 PM PST

AGGHHH!! I wish for a better memory. In essence, accurate details forgotten, its but one example of stress affecting the sleep slope: on the way down or the way back.

On the fringes of the sleep state, it is not uncommon for the "sleep paralysis", which stops you falling out of bed, to act too early or stop too late. In these conditions, the brain attains / retains external awareness, though the body has already entered / hasn't yet left the sleep state.

The major side effect is a physiologically based absolute terror: you feel you are awake and paralyzed. This leads especially to magnification of perceived sounds, and magnification of minor shadows. Each symptom creates the impression of a major significant event or an intruder. Essentially, the body floods with adrenalin and the fight or flight reflex gets overextended.

Having lived through stress times when both were regularly experienced, I can state that if you don't have any knowledge of why you are feeling as you are, the perceieved external events become believed as real events. Even when aware of the physiological basis, its still an effort to convince yourself the paralysis is not a matter of concern.

I'll never forget the night the young woman was murdered, screaming continually, in the ceiling of my bedroom. Thank gosh, it was a sleep issue, not a real murder. Yet, 47 years later, I still remember the event as if it was a real occurrence last night.

regards

Ian

Collapse -
Re:So, you think your head is exploding? :-)
by Angeline Booher / March 30, 2004 6:54 AM PST

Clever stuff there, DavE! Happy

Though not infected with an over-inflated ego, my Dad did have occasional severe migraines. He did feel like his head was exploding, so he would tie a kerchief around his head.

Once a boyfriend of mine came to visit, and saw Dad sitting in a chair with the kerchief tied around his head.

He asked, "What's the matter, Sir? Have you got a headache?"

That was NOT the right thing to say at that moment in time. Happy

BTW, I think the scientific term for The Exploding Head Syndrome being called Inflatus Globus Continuim Expandum Detonatus.

Angeline
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!