The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

So with all this action against fileswappers...

by sibod / November 16, 2005 4:42 AM PST

... and legal downoads why are we getting news like this?

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds26272.html

IMHO - file-sharing continues to rise because very few download services are either reasonably priced or easy to use, or offer the content people want. For all its merits, iTunes only offers medium quality music (128k) rather than true CD or even SACD quality. The TV downloads are still less than standard definition TV quality, and cost far more than the Free that you currently get on TV!

So rather than suing everyone, how about offering a service people WANT to use in preference to P2p and Usenet???

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: So with all this action against fileswappers...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: So with all this action against fileswappers...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
IE is required to download
by beelissa / November 16, 2005 5:26 AM PST

I don't do illegal fileswapping, and I haven't purchased many downloadable songs either. Most of the songs on my mp3 player are ripped from CDs I own. But, as a Firefox user, I am very annoyed that every service I have looked at except iTunes requires the use of Internet Explorer. I've used WalMart Downloads, and checked out several others and decided not to use them because I was greatly dissatisfied with the way WalMart's software worked and anticipated a similar problem with others when I read they required IE as well. You can't even download their software if you surf there using Firefox.

I find iTunes hard to use since I don't have an iPod, so I can't figure out where it puts the music and whether I'll be able to move it to my mp3 player using drag & drop.

Collapse -
iTunes music
by rtemp / November 16, 2005 6:49 AM PST

It's funny that you say you can't find where iTunes puts your music because I have a friend that uses it because he actually does have easy access to the files.

I'm assuming that you are on a Windows box, correct? I don't remember if I'm using the default location or not, but for me the music is in "C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music" under artist-titled folders.

Collapse -
re: iTunes music
by acedtect / November 16, 2005 6:56 AM PST
In reply to: iTunes music

My iTunes music is also in
C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music

This reminds me of the posting on Slashdot about Type Manager's replaceing file managers. Type as in MIME type not typing.

http://www.icefox.net/articles/typemanager.html

Collapse -
This is exactly the problem
by sibod / November 16, 2005 7:21 AM PST

On average, who exactly has the time to wrestle the inadequacies and incompatibilities of various devices and services.

That the iPod has 90% of the MP3 player market, but only one service supports it sucks. But then the majority of peeps are ripping CDs. But then Sony, et al, dont want you to do that. They want you to buy everything for your MP3 player again.....

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.