Speakeasy forum

General discussion

So why was it that Cheney wanted Iran sanctions lifted?

by Josh K / October 7, 2004 4:15 AM PDT

From the debate (emphasis mine):

IFILL: Mr. Vice President, in June of 2000 when you were still CEO of Halliburton, you said that U.S. businesses should be allowed to do business with Iran because, quote, "Unilateral sanctions almost never work."

After four years as vice president now, and with Iran having been declared by your administration as part of the "Axis of Evil," do you still believe that we should lift sanctions on Iran?

CHENEY: No, I do not. And, Gwen, at the time, I was talking specifically about this question of unilateral sanctions.

What happens when we impose unilateral sanctions is, unless there's a collective effort, then other people move in and take advantage of the situation and you don't have any impact, except to penalize American companies.

Translation: Why should my company miss the gravy train just because Iran is a terrorist country?

His argument almost made sense until he threw in that last bit, which IMO revealed his true motives.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: So why was it that Cheney wanted Iran sanctions lifted?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: So why was it that Cheney wanted Iran sanctions lifted?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: So why was it that Cheney wanted Iran sanctions lifted?
by TONI H / October 7, 2004 4:24 AM PDT

>>>>What happens when we impose unilateral sanctions is, unless there's a collective effort, then other people move in and take advantage of the situation and you don't have any impact>>>>

Operative word is "collective effort"....so if other countries WOULDN'T sanction, the only companies that would be hurt would be American ones. And there are many other companies besides Haliburton, Josh.

If those companies aren't making any money in the American market, and they CAN be profitable by taking their business outside of America (much the same way the tobacco companies have done in recent years), why should they be solely punished and put out of business when other countries' businesses are ignoring the sanctions?

I'm not talking about outsourcing....I'm talking about finding other means to stay afloat and still pay US taxes.

TONI

Collapse -
by Josh K / October 7, 2004 5:00 AM PDT

You're talking about doing business with a terrorist country. Just because other countries are ignoring the sanctions (isn't that why France, Russia and Germany have gotten so much flack?) doesn't make it proper for US companies to do business with terrorist countries.

Collapse -
by TONI H / October 7, 2004 5:08 AM PDT

We do business every day with countries that have 'harbored' terrorists for years without sanctions on any of them.......

I'm not saying that sanctions should be lifted when they are in place...and the rest of the world also honors them....but if the rest of the world is going to ignore the sanctions why should we or even waste our time and efforts with sanctions in the first place?

TONI

Collapse -
by Josh K / October 7, 2004 5:12 AM PDT

But isn't that what we keep saying separates us from France, Germany and Russia? That we have principles that they don't have? Do we toss our principles out the window just because someone has a chance to make a few bucks? Don't we care where the money is coming from?

Collapse -
Well hell's bells, Josh
by TONI H / October 7, 2004 5:16 AM PDT

You want us to live up to a set of principles that you agree with and then back down on other principles that we are known to have when you don't agree with them. Hard to know what exactly would make you happy.

TONI

Collapse -
Re: Well hell's bells, Josh
by Josh K / October 7, 2004 5:21 AM PDT

A Vice President who doesn't put his own wallet above his country would be a nice start.

I don't know what principles you think I'm advocating we back down on.

Collapse -
by TONI H / October 7, 2004 5:25 AM PDT

I could have sworn Cheney resigned as CEO of Haliburton before he ran for VP.......

TONI

Collapse -
by Josh K / October 7, 2004 5:35 AM PDT

Cheney's past political experience (including being a Congressman during the Iran hostage crisis) should have given him enough information about Iran to evaluate whether it was a country he felt comfortable doing business with. He decided that his company's profits were more important to him. That just makes me very uncomfortable.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) OK, Josh, I saw that grin as you said that........
by Mac McMullen / October 7, 2004 4:48 AM PDT
Collapse -
by dirtyrich / October 7, 2004 7:10 AM PDT

Plain and simple... while we are doing business in Iran, we are tied somewhat to Iran, based upon the amount of business we do with them. If we are doing business with them, we can exert some influence, both economically and politically, over them.
If we completely pull out of doing business with them while others do not, we lose all ability to exert influence over them. They will simply seek trade elsewhere.
Since other nations have not joined in sanctions on Iran, the best possible course for the nation politically is to not have sanctions to allow us to exert some influence over Iran. Yes, this goes against our "morals," but unfortunately this is the only way for us to affect Iran's terrorist acts.
Mind you, this argument also applies to the current talks with North Korea, as the only possible way to force a nation to do something diplomatically is to act in concert with other nations, and uni/bi-lateral will fail.
Personally, I say while we have the troops in Iraq... it's only what, a 4-5 hours drive?

Collapse -
by Dan McC / October 7, 2004 7:42 AM PDT
Personally, I say while we have the troops in Iraq... it's only what, a 4-5 hours drive?

Good idea! Things have worked out so well in Iraq!

Dan
Collapse -
by dirtyrich / October 7, 2004 10:12 AM PDT

Give it time and don't give up. Trying to remake a nation in 2 years is just plain silly... we're not only changing their government but also their culture for the better, and both will take a while.
And, that little quip was there for humor's sake... I wanted to see which little fishie would bite onto the bait first.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!