Speakeasy forum

General discussion

So whuddya think 'bout this?

by Catgic / November 16, 2004 8:52 AM PST
BAGHDAD, Iraq - The fatal shooting of a wounded and apparently unarmed man in a Fallujah mosque by a U.S. Marine angered Sunni Muslims in Iraq on Tuesday and raised questions about the protection of insurgents once they are out of action. International legal experts said the Marine may have acted in self-defense because of a danger that a wounded combatant might try to blow up a hidden weapon; a key issue was whether the injured man was a prisoner at the time.

http://start.earthlink.net/newsarticle?cat=0&aid=1116042546_5301_lead_story
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: So whuddya think 'bout this?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: So whuddya think 'bout this?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: So whuddya think 'bout this?
by dirtyrich / November 16, 2004 9:06 AM PST

The possibility of the insugent detonating a device or pulling a weapon as the soldier walked by is significant and can't be ignored. Not sure where I heard it, so don't bother believing me if you don't want to, but I heard of a wounding/death of a US soldier who was checking the wounded and dead and had an insurgent fire a weapon at him as he walked by.
Compounding the issue, in a strictly legal sense, is that the insurgent was supposedly acting dead so as to not be captured (or, in this case, shot dead). So, it could be argued that the man was not yet under the protection of the Geneva Convention on captured combatants.
An investigation is necessary, though, for the soldier might have gone Full Metal Jacket crazy and just shot the guy for the heck of it... and if that is the case, then there should be consequences.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I expect there'll be "consequenses" warranted or not
by Catgic / November 16, 2004 9:35 AM PST
Collapse -
by Roger NC / November 16, 2004 9:53 AM PST

He may have been too quick to jump to conclusions, but under the conditions in Fallujah, that would certainly be understandable.

Especially since according to the article -

The shooting happened Saturday, one day after the Marine, who has not been identified, was wounded in the face and after another man in his unit was killed by the booby-trapped body of an insurgent.

He may have been too quick, and that doesn't necessarily excuse the action, but you have to wonder if he wouldn't have shot at anything not in his unit moving the day after such an event.

RogerNC

click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
by lylesg / November 16, 2004 10:27 AM PST
The fatal shooting of a wounded and apparently unarmed man in a Fallujah mosque by a U.S. Marine

The man had to be assumed an insurgent and not simply a wounded and apparently unarmed man. The people of Fallujah were warned to get the hell out before the fighting started. So, he must be considered the enemy. If you are among thieves...

I wonder how many marines this guy killed and if he assisted in cutting off the heads of innocent civilians before he became incapable.

key issue was whether the injured man was a prisoner at the time.

I doubt that the man was a prisoner. There is no indication of such.

Another key issue: The shooting happened Saturday, one day after the Marine, who has not been identified, was wounded in the face and after another man in his unit was killed by the booby-trapped body of an insurgent.

Thank God this was not a repeat of the day before.

As I see it the marine could have simply walked away. Don?t risk having the wounded insurgent blow him and other marines in the building to hell or high heaven by a bomb strapped to his body.

The marine could have performed a search of the wounded insurgent and see if the guys intent was to blow them all to pieces.

Or, the marine could shoot the insurgent so that he and other marines are not at risk of being killed/injured by a booby trap bomb.

I don?t know if the marine broke any Law of Armed Conflict. or not. The marines are not fighting a conventional army by any stretch. I guess we will have to wait and see what the investigation turns up. I say we give all of our soldiers the benefit of the doubt and consider them innocent until proven guilty.

I'll bet that in the future Mr. Kevin Sites will not be hob-nobbing with our marines.
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.