General discussion

So who else likes to collect digital cameras on the cheap?

I've always liked digital cameras, though seem to drop or otherwise go through them and with the toilet economy I can't afford to buy them new-in fact I have enough free time to hit thrift stores and sometimes buy on ebay too. Sometimes I resell them, sometimes I don't want to part with them. Average about 4 years old, and I think the megapixel thing is overrated, in fact of all my cameras the KM Z10 probably takes the best photos on a reliable basis. Here is my current stable along with the price paid, the first two added within the last two weeks:

Nikon Coolpix S10 $22.50 Amvets thrift like new
Konica Minolta Z5 $61.00 ebay excellent condition
Nikon Coolpix S4 $41.00 ebay excellent no acc.
Canon Powershot a520 $12.50 Goodwill had stuck lens, 1 hr fix
Konica Minolta Z10 $65.00 2 yrs ago thift store great camera
Contax i4r $10.00 Goodwill what a steal had to buy battery and charger off ebay for $11
Plus a couple older cheapos had for years.

What's amazing is how each of these "point and shoots" have unique operating manners, even within similar lines of the same brand- say each KM or Nikon. What you'd do with one like how long it gives you to hold the shutter release or the minimal light for a decent shot is quite different. Currently I have to say the Nikon S10 is a favorite for just pushing the button and it gets it right- though once I work around the Z5's noise issues I think it would be a superior performer overall.
The Contax is an amazing little toy, if the light's good.

thanks for reading. any other po' folks out there?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: So who else likes to collect digital cameras on the cheap?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: So who else likes to collect digital cameras on the cheap?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Collect Cameras

I don't actually collect cameras but have bought quite a few.
Some I give away and some I keep for some special ability they have.

My first digital camera was a refurbished Epson that was 640 x 480mm maximum.
It didn't even have a LCD.
Even from that camera I could see, the future was going to be digital.

That camera was given away many times, each time someone got hooked on digital and they went searching for something more.
That camera went through many hands.

- Collapse -
640x480

I remember 640x480, that was the max (only?) resolution of my first digital camera, a Ricoh RD-300z I bought when they first came out. MSRP was $500! I thought I got a good deal for $400. It had a little flip up LCD, I justified the purchase because I used it for my job at the time selling office furniture. Because I had the camera I was the only salesperson the owner let near his new PC, when he went hime early every day I'd install AOL on his PC, sign on with my account and uninstall it before we closed and he never knew.
I was a pioneer in employee time abuse surfing the 'net.

CNET Forums

Forum Info