Speakeasy forum

General discussion

So nice to hear a President say "I take responsibility."

regarding the disaster in the Gulf.

Rob

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: So nice to hear a President say "I take responsibility."
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: So nice to hear a President say "I take responsibility."
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Are you saying that's new with this president and not with

the previous. Type into google the name of the president of your fancy followed by the words "takes responsibility" and see all the hits you'll get.

Collapse -
OF COURSE that's what he is saying ...

In reply to: Are you saying that's new with this president and not with

But I'm sure it's not a political statement.

Collapse -
sure it's not a political statement.

In reply to: OF COURSE that's what he is saying ...

yup, you're right...

Collapse -
Is irony lost around here?

In reply to: sure it's not a political statement.

I won't argue the point, I'll just observe that if you don't recognize that as a political slam at the previous US presidential administration then you have completely missed the meaning of the word 'political'. Or perhaps the meaning of the post. Or both.

It's not that I object to allowing political discussion on the forum. I do, however, object to strident claims that we will prohibit political posts (see the various forum 'stickies' if the claims are not going to be backed by action. Failure to enforce the rules leaves ALL of us uncertain what can and cannot be posted.

Collapse -
(NT) how nice of you, thanks

In reply to: Is irony lost around here?

Collapse -
Rrriiiight!

In reply to: OF COURSE that's what he is saying ...

Not at all.

Collapse -
In further reading articles

the president did not say he was taking any responsibility for the occurrence but that he will make himself responsible to see the capping to completion. It was our previous president who was accused of causing the catastrophe following Katrina and who said he took responsibility for that happening. Obama is saying (and you can read it too) that he's fully engaging our government to fix what's already happened. Bush took responsibility not only for engaging the government after the fact but for the catastrophe itself. These are two completely different levels of expression.

Collapse -
Sorry....a couple of supporting links

In reply to: In further reading articles

Collapse -
well, he sorta did, i think, maybe?

In reply to: In further reading articles

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100528/ap_on_an/us_obama_my_responsibility_analysis

In language presidents normally reserve for the burden of sending
troops to war, Obama said of the oil spill: "This is what I wake
up to in the morning and this is what I go to bed at night thinking
about." At a time when Obama is juggling a host of nettlesome problems
"the wars, the economy, Mideast peace" he pushed them all behind this
one, saying his government has been "singularly focused" on fixing the
spill.

Collapse -
But wait, for the spill itself

In reply to: well, he sorta did, i think, maybe?

Collapse -
Is he blaming his predecessor?

In reply to: But wait, for the spill itself

Yes, as usual.

He ALWAYS says that whatever problem is current is what he goes to bed thinking about. Standard empty rhetoric.

Collapse -
(NT) don't you mean standard empathetic rhetoric? ^_^

In reply to: Is he blaming his predecessor?

Collapse -
No

In reply to: don't you mean standard empathetic rhetoric? ^_^

I know the meanings of words.

Collapse -
(NT) It was a JOKE. Ed. A play on words...

In reply to: No

Collapse -
But it isn't the president's responsibility. It never was.

In reply to: So nice to hear a President say "I take responsibility."

This is one of those situations where I am struck by the dichotomy of business wanting to be left alone to reap the rewards... but standing mute when they screw up. In this case, BP should take sole responsibility for all efforts to make this right. Furthermore, there should be criminal proceedings, not only for the accident itself, but also the failure to react in a timely manner.

The so called "majority" in the US cries and whines about government interference. This is the time to stand up or shut up to government regulation of industry. BP and this accident will have essentially destroyed much of the ecosystem in a large part of the Gulf. Some of these systems will never recover in our lifetimes, if ever. BP must take full responsibility... not the US tax payer. There should be no lengthy court hearings about what part BP should pay for such as we saw after the Exxon Valdez oil spill. Bottom line is every penny BP makes from here on out should go to recovery and restitution.

The ideology that government not interfere with commerce demands that the government stay clear. The only part government should play is making sure that BP pays every penny owed for the damage it has caused through negligence and failure to prepare for the inevitable accidents that are bound to occur in deep water oil extraction.

Collapse -
But you're not understanding something here

This isn't about actual moral, ethical or legal obligations at all. This is about creating perceptions.

Collapse -
(NT) well, when you put it that way... ^_^

In reply to: But you're not understanding something here

Collapse -
Oops, forgot my smiley...was being sarcastic.

In reply to: well, when you put it that way... ^_^

Don't we all know that much of this is showmanship and that folks with marketing degrees direct our leader's speechmaking...and they think we're all stupid enough to believe them just as they think we believe that chemically made butter substitutes can prevent heart attacks? Wink

Collapse -
(NT) ^_^

In reply to: Oops, forgot my smiley...was being sarcastic.

Collapse -
What BP has done to the US food supply

In reply to: But it isn't the president's responsibility. It never was.

Collapse -
Well, we could penalize them but it would do little good

In reply to: What BP has done to the US food supply

because we cannot eat money. To replace what's been lost, the fine paid would need to be edible....or so one might think.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.