Speakeasy forum

General discussion

So much for teachers' unions hurting education!

by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / August 23, 2006 12:14 AM PDT
Charter schools lag their public peers.

>> Independently run, publicly financed charter schools perform no better than comparable public schools, long-awaited federal data suggested Tuesday.

Long considered a ticket out for students in poor public schools, charter schools have proliferated nationwide and are among reforms favored by the Bush administration. In Washington, D.C., one in four students attends one.

But Tuesday's report, which for the first time compares the performance of students in charters with that of public school peers in similar neighborhoods, finds that charter school students lag slightly.

The data show, for instance, that charter school students in 2003 were several points behind their counterparts in both reading and math in fourth and eighth grades. Standardized math scores in urban charters also lagged, but reading scores were comparable. <<

Reactions were excpectedly biased towards the viewpoint of the reactor, with the AFT calling for curbing the growh of charter schools, which divert resources from traditional public schools. While "Proponents say the study relies on flawed 2003 data," "raw 2005 data, posted on the education statistics center's website, show similar results."

As usual, it makes no sense to reinvent the wheel!

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: So much for teachers' unions hurting education!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: So much for teachers' unions hurting education!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
well we all see how well your
by Mark5019 / August 23, 2006 12:16 AM PDT

government run schools do!
why cany jimmy read, write or add!

and look at the collages they have to re teach them

Collapse -
Yes, let's keep the inner city kids in failing public
by Kiddpeat / August 23, 2006 12:25 AM PDT

schools. Let them eat cake. We don't need no stinkin improvements!

Collapse -
So much for draining funds from the public school system
by Evie / August 23, 2006 12:47 AM PDT

Let's not try anything new, status quo is A-OK. I'm not sure ANYTHING about Washington DC should be used to make generalizations about the nation as a whole. This appears to be what is being done here. Wonder what is allegedly flawed about the 2003 data. Would be interesting to know.

Collapse -
Couple points...
by dirtyrich / August 23, 2006 6:35 AM PDT

The NCES study did a poor job comparing economic status between the charter school and public populations because the NCES relied on free or reduced lunch status as a proxy... which NCES admits is a poor indicator.

"NCES data rely on surveys of schools drawn from a nationally representative sample self-reporting the number of students who participate in the free and reduced lunch program as a proxy for poverty. When CER raised concerns in 2004 with NCES about its poverty data, that government data center acknowledged, ?free and reduced lunch is a rather poor proxy for poverty, but it is all that is available.?

Many charter schools do not participate in the programs or track such data, resulting in inflated economic statuses of the student populations.

Two, charter schools generally target low economic and low education populations, resulting in an overall lower ability population of students. Until chatrer schools are able to develop a continuously rotating population of students (as public schools have), their scores will be low.

Three, the term "charter schools" is unfortunately too broad and has been used for schools that are online-based in addition to other misfits.

Collapse -
Hey dirtyrich ...
by Evie / August 23, 2006 6:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Couple points...

... do you get any union newsletters? I belong to the AFT and the newsletters are by far dominated by K-12 politics. There is no surprise as to which candidates they endorse which is a misuse of dues IMO. And there is no end to the studies they commission to prove anything but the government/union monopoly on education is maintained and no alternative is considered.

It's odd. Usually Democrats don't like monopolies that deliver poor service for inflated prices. But anyone that has checked their property tax bill (and/or town budget if it is not itemized on the tax bill) lately knows that's exactly what they get with the union dominated government schools.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
not yet
by dirtyrich / August 23, 2006 7:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Hey dirtyrich ...

I just recently entered the field (high school bio) and have yet to get all the junk mail. Personally, I'm upset that a good part of my dues (no option to withhold them) goes towards any political candidates without my permission. I'm all for elective donations through the unions.
I'm not anti-union, I just dislike the national unions because of their focus on politics and activism. The issues of job protection and reasonable pay and benefits (imo, the true purposes of a union) are handled by the state and local unions, so there is no real use of NEA and the AFT.

Collapse -
The thing I resent most about the ....
by Evie / August 23, 2006 9:35 AM PDT
In reply to: not yet

... national teacher's unions is their influence in and advocacy over the curriculum. I can't think of any other union that has such a stranglehold over the operation of the "business" they are employed by as the teacher's unions do. Can you imagine the CAW having a say in/influence over what models GM is going to offer next year?

A labor union should first and foremost be for the protection/advocacy of the worker. How pushing the inclusion of radical leftist issues in the curriculum works into that to the benefit of the teachers is beyond me.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
Democrats don't like BUSINESS monopolies. They LOVE labor,
by Kiddpeat / August 23, 2006 8:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Hey dirtyrich ...

and municipal monopolies. Those are the people THEY control, and/or are supported by.

Collapse -
Headlines do not stories make.
by marinetbryant / August 23, 2006 8:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Couple points...

Read but probably didn't understand the report. What stuck out to me was this part, Cautions and Interpretations.

Tom

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?