Speakeasy forum

General discussion

so much for Liberal "tolerance"

by duckman / November 23, 2005 11:13 AM PST
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: so much for Liberal "tolerance"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: so much for Liberal "tolerance"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
LOL!
by Paul C / November 23, 2005 11:43 AM PST

1) "Liberal tolerance" is an oxymoron.

2) Why didn't Canada's "enlightened" gun laws prevent all this gun violence?

3) 50 Cent is a totally reprehensible person. That said, free speech prevails - the Canadians ought to try it some time...

Collapse -
free speech prevails
by JP Bill / November 23, 2005 1:09 PM PST
In reply to: LOL!
the Canadians ought to try it some time...

perhaps the residents of LA should try "free speech" also

Last month the distributor of "Get Rich or Die Tryin"' took down some movie billboards near Los Angeles-area schools after community leaders complained they glorified gangs and violence. The posters showed 50 Cent holding a microphone in one hand and a gun in the other.

The US also does not let people with a criminal record entry, so what's the problem?
Collapse -
Oxymoron
by grandpaw7 / November 23, 2005 10:37 PM PST

At one time, I submitted a list of oxymorons, or at least imitations thereof,none of which had any political implications. I started out the post with ''No,not Republcian oxymorons''. The post was removed. This post by Paul C. is at least as offensive as that one. For one thing, my comment was an offhand one, intended to be humorous rather than taken as an accusation, and not the central point of my post. Here, the only purpose of Paul C's post is to characterize all liberals as intolerant. There is plenty of ground to say that Republicans, and Democrats, sometimes say things that one can assert are oxymorons. There is no ground whatsoveve for saying that all liberals, or conservatives, are intolerant,

Collapse -
"free speech" is no excuse irresponsible speech.
by caktus / November 24, 2005 5:59 AM PST

That's why it's illegal to yell fire in a crowded theater or to encite violence? Or to slander or defame people's character. Or make false bomb threats. The list could go on and on.

Collapse -
Makes sense to me
by EdH / November 23, 2005 11:45 AM PST

I wouldn't let him in either.

Collapse -
i would let him go in to
by Mark5019 / November 23, 2005 12:08 PM PST
In reply to: Makes sense to me

canada unfortuneatly they wont take him, because if they did they we could have refused him reentry into here:(

Collapse -
It took all the Queen's horses and all the Queen's men to
by Ziks511 / November 23, 2005 6:29 PM PST

get permission for Martha Stewart to visit Canada after her non-violent conviction and her sentence was complete, and for that very same reason, that those with criminal records are barred from entering Canada, as they are from entering the US from Canada.

You want to equate expunging the records of convicted felons with tolerance, start with the Willie Horton ads and work forward.

Tolerance applies to differences of belief and racial origin, it doesn't apply to convictions for violent felonies.

If you want to trade stories of tolerance, Farley Mowat, well-known Canadian author was denied entrance to the US for a period of years because he threatened (while under the influence of too much of Scotland's most famous product) to attempt to shoot down any American military aircraft that flew over his house. With his trusty .22 rifle. Of course this all happened under Ronnie Ray-gun so its alright.

Since he was miles from any flight path, it was all alcoholic bluster, but he didn't like the US or Canadian military low flying disturbing the Caribou herds (as, incidentally, they still do though with some new restrictions). Immediately after his service in WW2, mostly in the Italian campaign, he worked for the Department of Natural Resources (then evocatively called the Department of Lands and Forests) studying wolves (hence his book: Never Cry Wolf) and the caribou herds. He developed enormous respect for the native population in the far north and thought they were being mistreated and mishandled by the Federal and Provincial Governments (hence the book: People of the Caribou), a fact that is still palpably true.

Ask yourself this question. If somebody from Canada, with 50 cent's criminal record, and recordings wanted to enter the US, what do you think the response would be?

Rob

Collapse -
Point is ,
by duckman / November 23, 2005 9:45 PM PST

Liberals CLAIM to have the monopoly on "tolerance"

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Neither the far right or far left is tolerant
by Diana Forum moderator / November 23, 2005 10:00 PM PST
In reply to: Point is ,
Collapse -
So strange
by grandpaw7 / November 23, 2005 10:29 PM PST

A person sees a person (liberal, conservative, Christian, atheist, and also Muslim) doing something he disagrees with and what does he do? He blatantly and quite irresponsibly extrapolates and acts as though this one person represents all persons in that class. This is the kind of stereotyping that lacks intelligence and integrity. While we all engage in it at times, usually it is not in the offensive way that duckman has chosen to use.

As to the substance of duckman's post, the effort by this legislator is hardly new or unusual; there are a plethora of times when a person or a group thinks that a certain performance should be banned, sometimes by conservative and sometimes by liberals, perhaps because a person is too liberal, or too conservative, or too gay, or too obscene or sexual, or too whatever. I certainly am not smart enough to know where to draw the line, but I am smart enough to know that these one liners such as duckman is using, and frequently uses, are empty of anything helpful or worthwhile. They soil a discussion forum such as this and make it a parody rather than a useful place to exchange ideas.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Gist of the article makes sense to me.
by caktus / November 24, 2005 5:48 AM PST
Collapse -
I don't see any intolerance involved ...
by Bill Osler / November 24, 2005 5:59 AM PST

If the law says that ex-cons aren't welcome, then so be it. Don't you agree that they should enforce their own laws?

Collapse -
I can't help but wonder...
by J. Vega / November 24, 2005 6:22 AM PST

I can't help but wonder is a person who is a deserter from the armed forces of the U.S. would be considered as a person "with a criminal record".

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Haven't been convicted
by Diana Forum moderator / November 24, 2005 6:43 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?