Speakeasy forum

General discussion

So long to gender-based pricing? (In Canada, at least...)

by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / March 17, 2005 9:20 PM PST
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: So long to gender-based pricing? (In Canada, at least...)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: So long to gender-based pricing? (In Canada, at least...)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Car insurance?
by holtnr / March 17, 2005 9:45 PM PST

As a group, Women are safer drivers than men, and enjoy a price advantage. Is this going to be addressed as well?

Also, there exist economic reasons why clothing for men is cheaper than clothing for women. Look at the difference in variety that exists in the women's departments of a major chain, and then compare it to the (lesser) variety in the men's department. That variety comes at a price, anything that doesn't sell is wasted, and is ultimately paid for by those articles (and their buyere) which do get purchased.

That variety also includes more different fabrics, and colors, and decorations. All of these things impact the ability of the dry-cleaning industry to process these articles, and generate more complaints and hassles for them. This too causes higher prices.

That being said, cotton pants are cotton pants, and wool blend suits are wool blend suits whether worn by a man or woman, and such articles should be priced the same, or since men tend to be larger than women, perhaps the men should pay a premium. (To be gender neutral on this, how about pay by size or weight?)

As for haircuts, that pricing differential is unjustified, unnecessary, and clearly discriminatory. I have seen some women come to a Barbershop for a haircut for that very reason. Gender specific treatments, like perms, coloring, and the like should be priced according to the actual cost of the procedure. Likewise beard and mustache trimming for men.

Let's try to be a little bit reasonable about how we approach this.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Sounds ridiculous to me
by Evie / March 17, 2005 9:51 PM PST
Collapse -
Stupid
by EdH / March 17, 2005 10:36 PM PST

Violating rights in the name of protecting them? Super gov't intrusion.

Similar does not equal same.

Collapse -
Yeah! Am I the only one ...
by Evie / March 17, 2005 11:25 PM PST
In reply to: Stupid

... wondering how this is going to be enforced?

Men's shoes are pricier than women's in general (I don't do designer). Many women can buy lots of stuff cheaper by shopping in the boy's section -- that's not fair!!

Most salons I go to charge differently for hair length (somehow my hair is always longer than I would consider it LOL). Most of the men that come in spend on average half the time in the chair and even if they get their hair styled, that takes a fraction of the time. A woman can get a no-frills haircut from Supercuts or similar for like $10 wet, comb, cut, no style.

Anyone that has ever done any sewing or crafting knows that trims are pricey. So are the fashion police going to compare the frills on a blouse when making sure there isn't price discrimination?? We pay a couple of dollars more for my hubby's basic blue jeans than for mine made by the same company. Is Kohl's going to be audited about that now??

Evie Happy

Collapse -
Baloney, Ed
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / March 19, 2005 1:25 AM PST
In reply to: Stupid

A shirt and a blouse are virtually identical, except for which side the buttons are on. If you want to charge extra for ironing a frill, that would be justified. But when virtually the same item costs twice as much to clean because it's called a "blouse" instead of a "shirt," that's clear discrimination., And don;t tell me the free market will sort it out, because it's been decades, and that hasn't happened!

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
Some blouses are very shirt-like and some are very different
by EdH / March 19, 2005 1:58 AM PST
In reply to: Baloney, Ed

This is not a matter for the government. No way.

Collapse -
Most blouses that a woman would bother to dry clean ...
by Evie / March 19, 2005 2:17 AM PST

... are NOT akin to men's shirts. Doubtful most women would want their more delicate items treated in the manner a men's dress shirt can withstand!

Evie Happy

Collapse -
How many women you know ...
by Evie / March 19, 2005 2:15 AM PST
In reply to: Baloney, Ed

... get their plain cotton shirts dry cleaned? Surely we don't need govermnent to interfere in a large scale manner where cases of true discrimination are so seldom found in narrowly defined areas. If I bought a cotton dress shirt to the cleaners and they tried to charge me more than they would for my husband's similar shirt, I would go to another cleaner and make sure they knew why. These things have a way of working themselves out in the free market.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Canada = flannels only, eh.
by EdH / March 19, 2005 2:17 AM PST
Collapse -
Easy solution
by duckman / March 17, 2005 11:29 PM PST

Shop where you like the prices.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.