The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

So long and thanks for all the well actuallys!

by acedtect-20196213851867054973637995818137 / May 16, 2010 1:45 AM PDT

Hey look! My login still works!

I've been remiss in not actively posting to this forum of late, but I have been watching. Ohhhhh how I've been watching!

And I have to say I'm going to miss this. The forums were our first real connection to the viewers. I remember in 2005 obsessively checkign the forums every day. First to see if someone had said anything at all. Later to keep up on what folks were saying. This is where we first got the message that the show should be longer than ten minutes. And it's also where we got the message that it shouldn't be an hour.

Through it all, the forums have been a place to keep us honest. Yes there are flame wars and yes stupid trolls, but in total, the forums have given us a great check on things both factually, and attitudinally.

I'm not sure if I'll have forums on my new show, TNT, but I'll definitely have blog comments, email, and voicemail of some sort.

So thanks to everybody who has participated here over the years. I've had some great discussions and lurked through some thought-provoking reads. I'll miss ya.

Except for you, Mr. Troll. You I have a feeling I will see everywhere.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: So long and thanks for all the well actuallys!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: So long and thanks for all the well actuallys!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I will really miss the rapport between you and Molly on BOL.
by minimalist / May 16, 2010 2:12 AM PDT

But I'll be following you on the TWIT network. Keep Leo and the rest of those guys on the rails (especially when they start in on the the Twitter love-fests). Best of luck with the new show!

Collapse -
Thanks for the shows, Tom
by Slikkster / May 16, 2010 7:13 AM PDT

I didn't always have to agree with you (that would be boring, no?) to appreciate your contribution to the show. I'll look forward to hearing you in the TWITiverse.

To me, BOL was a perfect example of "the whole is greater than the sum of its parts" with you, Molly and Jason together. It suffers significantly when those components are missing. 'Nuff said. Break a leg.

Collapse -
So long and thanks for all the well actuallys!
by wizkids32 / May 16, 2010 7:34 AM PDT

Yes I will watch you on TWIT too it will be a good show.

Collapse -
Typical post from a mac user.
by kwahhn / May 16, 2010 11:41 AM PDT

You haven't heard the last from me Merritt.

Love the show.

Collapse -
(NT) hahahaha
by robstak / May 18, 2010 3:12 AM PDT
Collapse -
Thank you so much, Tom!
by robstak / May 18, 2010 3:14 AM PDT
In reply to: hahahaha

and good luck @ TWiT!!

I hope they let you keep your (C) logo on here and that you still check in from time to time!

btw you probably know by now, but chanbot has been renamed 'acedtect'. a touching tribute to the man, the legend....

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks for everything Tom
by Nicholas Buenk / May 16, 2010 3:46 PM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) Wish you all the best in the future Tom
by btorocks / May 16, 2010 9:51 PM PDT
Collapse -
Good luck, Mr. Merritt!

Top 5 and the How To Videos won't be the same! What is the name of your new show on TWiT Netcast Network?

Collapse -
bye bye
by doug5945 / May 17, 2010 8:46 AM PDT

Thanks for years of great entertainment and sharing your knowledge. Great choice of a replacement, Rafe will do well too. The current mix of Molly, BT, Rafe, and Jason are a great.

Collapse -
Back Atcha
by Gadzooks! / May 17, 2010 12:20 PM PDT

Thanks to you, Tom, for everything. You and the crew of BOL were a daily dose of sanity in the cubicle farm, and for that, I owe you!

I'm actually more sad that you're leaving than I'll show, because I know change is part of life, and I know how important change is for a creative person such as yourself. I'll get over it. I know you'll do well - and it's not like TWiT is blocked! I'll also follow Sword and Laser and your FrogPants show (who's name escapes me at the moment), as usual.

See you in the TWiT chatroom!

May the road rise to meet you,

May the wind be always at your back

<insert a bunch of other Irish things that involve raising a glass>

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?