Windows 7 forum

General discussion

So i installed Tune Up utilities to my w7

by the_marager / September 11, 2010 5:50 AM PDT

so yeah, i installed it, hurp ti durp.
ran all the required optimizations for my visuals and net, and what do you know, my ping, in ALL games, have spikes from 100 to 250, and in those games that i already was 250 on its now about 400 XD (namely games like starcraft 2)
i cant figure this out, tune up only seems to change firefox simultaneous connections, it "doesn't" or at least shouldn't touch other settings, but it did, and i cant even roll it back, i ask of you great C-Net people, What do? Sad

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: So i installed Tune Up utilities to my w7
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: So i installed Tune Up utilities to my w7
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
IMHO tuneup and optimization utilities
by peacox / September 12, 2010 3:05 PM PDT

do little or nothing to improve performance and more often than not make matters worse. They operate by changing various registry settings to conform with the authers view of how things should be without any reference to the things that truely effect performance, namely, the number of processes trying to run and the resources available to run them.
To roll back to how it was, I would first uninstall the tuneup utilities, and then do a system restore to a date prior to installing them.
You haven't described your system spec so advice is difficult but the resources that have the most effect on performance are Ram, cpu speed and number of cores, HDD speed in rpm, if any of these are on the low side then having 50 or more active processes will cause poor performance.

Collapse -
Nod to that.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 12, 2010 8:42 PM PDT

I agree.

Such 'Optimisers' often cause damage and recovering from that can be a difficult and painful task.

Hopefully System Restore will work. Otherwise this road could prove to be a steep learning curve.

Mark

Collapse -
I'll agree
by Jimmy Greystone / September 12, 2010 11:32 PM PDT

I'll agree with the bulk of the above. IMO it veers off a bit when going on about HDD speed and more than 50 processes, but most everything before that is good.

So, just let this be a lesson on why you don't use these types of programs. Windows already comes performance tuned, and while there may be a few settings you can tinker with to get marginally better performance, they almost always come at a price, and there's always a very good reason why the aren't enabled by default. There's also those cases where people completely misunderstand what some setting is for. A couple years ago, someone "discovered" a setting in the msconfig program that they claimed meant Windows wasn't using all CPU cores unless you manually enabled this feature. The true nature of that setting, and why it was buried deep inside some program few people even know exists, is because it's for debugging purposes. It lets you limit the number of cores used during boot to help rule out the possibility of a bad core or some kind of program compatibility issue with multiple cores. It's really a holdover from many years ago when we would be talking about multiple CPUs, not multiple cores. Not that a lack of knowledge stops some people.

Anyway, seem to have gotten off on a bit of a rant, so just remember that optimization programs are generally oxymorons and you'll be fine.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!