Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

PC Hardware forum

General discussion

So how much RAM can 32-bit Vista really recognize?

by barkal_l / June 5, 2008 2:46 AM PDT

Sounds like a dumb question, I know, but I have seen various conflicting information and wanted to see what the real deal is. I have seen from 3-8GB mentioned on various sites.

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
There is no real answer. But..
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 5, 2008 3:42 AM PDT

Depending on the motherboard you will see some 2.0 to 3.5GB reported. With the latest service pack Microsoft tweaked their OS to report (but not use) 4.0GB because too many CONSUMERS were calling in to ask "Where's my ram?"

Nothing has changed in memory support here since the year 2000. 32 bit Windows and all the articles still apply so I'll stop here.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks a bunch- that answers my question
by barkal_l / June 5, 2008 3:55 AM PDT

I was thinking it was the way you described, but with everyone running around with their own info on the internet these days it's sometimes hard to tell what the real deal is.

Collapse -
common question
by squirtlewa / June 6, 2008 12:38 AM PDT

don't feel bad for the question, it comes up a lot.

The info/misinfo on the internet is a problem compounded by retailers and manufacturers touting more RAM than the system can use.

A curious parallel from a couple generations earlier:
Jewelry quality watches will have jewels in the movements. There's a maximum of 17 places a jewel can be of use. However, with consumers generally being of the more-is-better mindset, watchmakers started adding in extra jewels. They'd just glue them in out of the way places. Who wouldn't prefer a 24 jewel watch over one with a mere 17?

Same thing with RAM anymore. 2x2GB sticks is cheap and easier to sell than a 3 GB configuration.

Collapse -
(NT) Corporate America at it's finest
by barkal_l / June 6, 2008 3:08 AM PDT
In reply to: common question
Collapse -
(NT) American Consumers at their finest?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 6, 2008 6:01 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) How about a whole lot of both?
by 4Denise / June 6, 2008 1:59 PM PDT

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!