Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

So help me. I hate ITunes, so where do I go?

I really am unhappy with the IPod/Itunes service. I need to be able to buy music online for my (not Ipod) player, but I'm not sure what the best sites (other than Itunes) might be.

Can anyone share their experience? I would rather not only be allowed to buy mp3s (since there are better quality methods)So where are the best selection of usable file types? Best selection of music? Best price? Subscription vs pay per song?

Whatever info you have would be great.

Thanks. I'm just tired of seeing so many Ipods absolutely everywhere.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: So help me. I hate ITunes, so where do I go?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: So help me. I hate ITunes, so where do I go?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A couple of suggestions...

In reply to: So help me. I hate ITunes, so where do I go?

Hey, I don't have a whole lot of experience downloading music, but I have a few options for you. Windows media player has built-in connections to several music download sites, including Napster, MusicMatch, MSN Music, and Wal-Mart music. In Windows Media Player 10, you can just look in the top right corner of the player, you should see the MSN butterfly with a small arrow next to it. Just click the arrow to bring up a list of sites. Each has their advantages and disadvantages, I know that Wal-Mart music is $0.88 per song, while everywhere else is usually $0.99. If you're looking for a subscription service, try Napster. Best Buy has a good variety of starter packs for Napster on sale in their stores.

Another suggestion that I have if you're interested in purchasing entire albums is www.yourmusic.com. They sell actual CDs instead of digital albums. Every CD on their site is just $5.99 with free shipping (except multi-disc sets). They have a HUGE selection, as long as the CD has been out for at least 3 or 4 months, they probabaly have it in stock.

Anyway, that's about all I got, I hope that helps! Good luck.

P.S. CNet has a nice resource center for digital music services on the site. You can find it here:

http://www.cnet.com/4520-7899_1-6304020-4.html?tag=nav

Collapse -
Re: So help me. I hate ITunes, so where do I go?

In reply to: So help me. I hate ITunes, so where do I go?

I use a wide variety of services. I like Rhapsody, Napster, and www.musicnow.com the best for regular and ''to go'' subscriptions. I think Rhapsody has the best catalog.
When I buy individual files to download and keep, I think Emusic and Audio Lunchbox are the best because they are .mp3's and are easier to copy/burn/etc. as opposed to proprietary files like .wma which have limitations.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.