Speakeasy forum

General discussion

So exactly what is the DNC up to here?

by Paul C / August 22, 2004 11:12 PM PDT

This may be a first; me linking to a page on the DNC website - but there's a point to be made.

Recently the Kerry campaign filed a formal complaint with the Federal Election Commission over the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth. In the complaint, the Kerryites claim that the Swiftvets have illegally coordinated their activities with the Bush-Cheney campaign - activity that's illegal under Federal campaign law for IRS section 527 organizations like the Swiftvets.

In keeping with my pet theory about the Dems - that what they accuse the opposition of doing is precisely what they've either done or are doing - I present this page from the DNC website (scroll down to the bottom, under the heading "Raise Your Democratic Voice!" I'll quote the text lest the DNC later "sanitize" (read: delete) this:

The Democratic Party is partnering with MoveOn.org, People for the American Way, Campaign for America's Future, and dozens of other groups representing millions of Americans to organize a massive public mobilization. On Wednesday, May 14, join us by calling and emailing your representatives in Congress to let them know that the majority of Americans oppose more irresponsible tax cuts that go overwhelmingly to the wealthiest sliver of Americans.

The three groups that the Dems name as "partnering" with are all 527 groups. Does this not constitute exactly what the DNC (and for that matter, MoveOn) are accusing the Republicans of doing?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: So exactly what is the DNC up to here?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: So exactly what is the DNC up to here?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It's just not fair...
by C1ay / August 22, 2004 11:27 PM PDT

to use facts against the DNC. Don't you know better Paul?

Collapse -
Re: So exactly what is the DNC up to here?
by Dan McC / August 23, 2004 1:45 AM PDT

This is a poorly defined area of law, but this activity is probably legal because it is not strictly a campaign event.

Dan

Collapse -
How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?
by Kiddpeat / August 23, 2004 7:02 AM PDT

As many as you want if it's a Democrat pin. It's the right thing to do.

Non if it's a Republican pin. That's against the law, and it's not fair.

Collapse -
How much can you read into a message that's not there?
by Dan McC / August 23, 2004 7:57 AM PDT

Tons, apparently. I was just commenting on the legal rationalization for it, not my own opinion.

Dan

Collapse -
It must be in the eye of the beholder.
by Kiddpeat / August 23, 2004 10:12 AM PDT

It sure looks like a campaign event to me.

The Democratic Party is partnering with MoveOn.org, People for the American Way, Campaign for America's Future, and dozens of other groups representing millions of Americans to organize a massive public mobilization. On Wednesday, May 14, join us by calling and emailing your representatives in Congress to let them know that the majority of Americans oppose more irresponsible tax cuts that go overwhelmingly to the wealthiest sliver of Americans.

I guess non of these groups are involved in campaigning. My mistake.

Collapse -
Re: It must be in the eye of the beholder.
by Dan McC / August 23, 2004 12:15 PM PDT

Lawyers and politicians from all parts of the spectrum make their careers on such subtleties in the law.

Such is life.

Dan

Collapse -
And of course it wouldn't be dancing...
by Edward ODaniel / August 23, 2004 7:59 AM PDT

it would become "obscene gyrations".

By the way, I registered all my animals as Democrats and can definitively say that one of the Democrat's most apparent perceptions is definitely wrong. Their fecal matter still stinks! (I have since unregistered them as Democrats and reregistered them as Republicans and they no longer get into everything I own as if it was theirs to dispose of as they desire.)

Collapse -
It looks like a growing consensus. The Democrats
by Kiddpeat / August 23, 2004 7:07 AM PDT

are always doing whatever they're condemning their opponents for doing. So, when they say Bush is lying...

Collapse -
Re: So exactly what is the DNC up to here?
by Dragon / August 23, 2004 10:26 AM PDT

Its my understanding that Bush took aim at all 527s before Kerry took aim at the Swiftboat 527, in particular.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.