Speakeasy forum

General discussion

So DK, Jeanne Assam is NOT a good Christian, correct?

by MarkatNite / December 10, 2007 2:29 PM PST

And what of Pastor Boyd, who authorized the security plan that included several church members who, like Ms. Assam, have CCWs? He must be even worse, no?

At your Church, you would have security personnel armed only with Tasers, right?

Mark

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: So DK, Jeanne Assam is NOT a good Christian, correct?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: So DK, Jeanne Assam is NOT a good Christian, correct?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
glad she was there
by jimandjerry / December 10, 2007 9:44 PM PST

sved lives

Collapse -
Thank God she was there, and able to stop him.
by Kiddpeat / December 11, 2007 12:26 AM PST

It shows us what is possible when people have the opportunity to defend themselves.

Collapse -
I wonder if this woman's family agrees
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / December 19, 2007 12:19 PM PST
Tips Needed In Fiesta Robbery, Shooting.

>> An innocent bystander was killed Friday night when the robbers and a store security guard got into a shootout at the store located at 4114 Fulton, officials said. Janette Dominguez, 68, was standing in the checkout line when she was shot several times by the suspects, police said. <<

Actually, they won't know that until the autopsy. Apparently, she was caught in a shootout -- and the security guard fired first.

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!
Collapse -
well they could have
by jimandjerry / December 19, 2007 12:23 PM PST

used tasers we all see how safe they are.
but i guess the guard should have just helped them .
i feel bad for the innocent victim, but if we didnt have criminals who would we have to fill our prisons with

Collapse -
I'm sure the dozens of people whose lives were
by Kiddpeat / December 19, 2007 1:16 PM PST

saved in Colorado regret that they could not sacrifice their lives to the anti-gun lobby. I'm sure they agree that allowing killers to run rampant is preferable to allowing people to defend themselves.

Why stop at security guards DK? Let's also disarm the police. Then they won't accidentally shoot any bystanders either. Of course, there is also the possibility that the criminals will shoot people even if there isn't any armed resistance. Oh well, at least we won't be shot by store security guards. That happens sooooo often doesn't it?

Collapse -
RE:I'm sure they agree that allowing killers to run rampant
by JP Bill / December 19, 2007 1:24 PM PST

Who said that?

Besides you?

Collapse -
Actually, KP, I'm glad she had the gun and
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / December 21, 2007 3:39 AM PST

was apparently properly trained in its use. In any case, a security guard on the job is a far cry from a single mother keeping a gun in the house "for protection," and losing her son when he finds "the toy." You'll note I've never argued that our police should only carry batons, as the London Bobbies once did. (When we were at Picadilly Circus Station two days after the London bombing of 2005, the Bobbies were carrying Sten guns!)

Happy Holidays! -- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
dk
by jimandjerry / December 21, 2007 4:55 AM PST

a single mother has less rights, or is stupid i guess you mean to say.

i know several nra members who are single moms and have hand guns in a bed safe.
i guess single men must be smarter per your views.

then we could issue tasers as there so safe wait thats a lie they kill to:(

Collapse -
RE: they kill to
by JP Bill / December 21, 2007 5:07 AM PST
In reply to: dk

How many police officers have you seen intentionally shoot another police officer with a gun?

How many police officers have you seen intentionally shoot another police officer with a tazer?

Did you ever wonder why they don't shoot each other with a gun and they do with a tazer?

I've seen many pictures of police officers on tv demonstrating use of the tazer.

I've seen a police officer giving a lecture to students on the safe use of firearms shooting himself in the foot also.

Collapse -
and
by jimandjerry / December 21, 2007 5:55 AM PST
In reply to: RE: they kill to

how many were killed by tasers because " tasers" dont kill?
false security leads to careless behavior

Collapse -
how many were killed by tasers because " tasers" dont kill?
by JP Bill / December 21, 2007 10:01 AM PST
In reply to: and

How many were shot because "I had the gun hidden and the child couldn't reach it"?

false security leads to careless behavior

Collapse -
like i said bed safe
by jimandjerry / December 21, 2007 10:06 AM PST

do try to understand what a bed safe is

and you and dk can howl outrage at the legal gun owners
but as its been shown guns save more lives in the proper hands

and for protection ill stick to my revolvers

Collapse -
If you start talking about banning automobiles.
by JP Bill / December 21, 2007 10:07 AM PST
In reply to: like i said bed safe

I'm going to be very suspicious.

Collapse -
I know what a bed safe is
by JP Bill / December 21, 2007 12:36 PM PST

There was another guy that used to hang around Speakeasy that had a bed safe and explained how they worked.

he said

had 1 of many in a slideing bed rail safe 1 button or more was needed to release door.

Collapse -
then ask him
by jimandjerry / December 21, 2007 12:48 PM PST

didnt know if you new what it was

Collapse -
Ask him
by JP Bill / December 21, 2007 12:56 PM PST
In reply to: then ask him

I think he's gone,

One day I signed on...he was gone.

He used to post every day... sometimes 20 or 30 new subjects.

Those were the days.

I imagine he's off in the corner somewhere.

I don't know where he went.

Oh well, life goes on.

Collapse -
hey you are right
by WOODS-HICK / December 21, 2007 1:12 PM PST

I did an advance search on that quote and there it is. he had a unique way of speaking. in fact those discussions are very similar to this one. what a coincidence.

Collapse -
(NT) theres several coincidences
by jimandjerry / December 21, 2007 11:59 PM PST
In reply to: hey you are right
Collapse -
Hi, J&J
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / December 22, 2007 6:25 AM PST

>> its been shown guns save more lives in the proper hands <<
That may very well be true -- but the point is that the average untrained American citizen is not "the proper hands." And even for the trained, there's no reason for citizens to have access to automatic weapons and armor-piercing bullets.

Collapse -
i guess we all should rely on the police
by jimandjerry / December 22, 2007 10:10 AM PST
In reply to: Hi, J&J

thanks but no thanks ill not rely on any ones protection but my own

Collapse -
Citizens do not have access to automatic weapons.
by Kiddpeat / December 22, 2007 11:19 AM PST
In reply to: Hi, J&J

Not unless they have a license from the ATF. I'll bet the same is true of armor piercing bullets. Thus, I have no idea what your point is.

I'm sure there are automatic weapons on the street, but they are illegal. That tells you how effective laws are when it comes to keeping criminals from getting guns.

Collapse -
(NT) gub laws too week, need strongar 1, than problam fixed
by WOODS-HICK / December 22, 2007 11:55 AM PST
Collapse -
A WHOLE lot fewer than would have died if shot
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / December 21, 2007 11:56 AM PST
In reply to: and

with a .38 (or higher caliber) pistol, J&J. Your dog won't hunt!

Collapse -
a 38 wont kill?
by jimandjerry / December 21, 2007 12:03 PM PST

are you saying i cant put down a person with a 38?
i hope im misunderstanding you.

Collapse -
Then your post made no sense.
by Kiddpeat / December 21, 2007 7:25 AM PST

No one was talking about single mothers unless the security guard in this case was a single mother.

However, as someone who claims to be a scientist, I'm surprised that you are not familiar with the research in this area. A researcher at the University of Chicago investigated the issue of guns which are used for self defense. He found that the statistics are overwhelming. Such guns save far more lives than are lost to them. So, we can try to keep people from having these weapons, but the result will be the loss of many lives which would otherwise be saved.

As far as keeping guns where kids can get them, I don't think anyone advocates that.

Collapse -
KP, I was giving a concrete example
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / December 21, 2007 11:49 AM PST

of someone very likely to have a gun "for protection" (a woman living alone with a child to be protected). The fallacy of having a gun "for protection" is that if one follows the gun safety rules necessary to prevent such tragic (and forseeable) accidents as I mention,namely keeping it unloaded in a gun safe, the number of situations in which there'd actually be time to use it for protection is really rather limited. Maybe if the would-be home invaders discussed their plan loudly outside her bedroom window while they were trying to get up their courage? In most cases, the first hint of a pending home invasion is the door being kicked in -- and what good is the unloaded gun in its gun safe then? As the now-removed FBI stats showed, a gun kept in the home "for protection" is much more likely to kill or injure a family member or other innocent one way or another (by accident or in domestic violence) than to kill or injure an intruder.

Collapse -
I have trouble with...
by J. Vega / December 22, 2007 2:43 AM PST

I have trouble with your time estimates. Many gun safes/safe boxes can be opened with a keypad. Call it 5 seconds to punch the combo in and open the door. If the gun is unloaded call it another 5 seconds max to put in the magazine and chamber a round with an auto or loading a revolver with a speed loader. Make that a total of 10 seconds. How many home invaders can get thru a deadlocked door in that time? It's not like the movies or TV when one kick always seems to do the trick.
Again with the FBI stats implying some sort of a plot. You've done this line many times before in past years. Once again, Dave, the FBI does not do their own statistics. The Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS) does the statistics. Their site has no end of statistics for you and always has. Remember, Dave, if you see something at BJS and confuse them with the FBI they are not the same, but it's possible to confuse the two when you are remembering something and try to go back to where you saw something.

Collapse -
your talking to the walls
by jimandjerry / December 22, 2007 3:00 AM PST
In reply to: I have trouble with...

there blind to the truth

Collapse -
at the moment
by WOODS-HICK / December 22, 2007 3:05 AM PST

just gibe them time. the truth will oepn there eyes.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?