TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

So confused about my HD ready TV

by apresmode / January 1, 2009 8:48 AM PST

Hi,

I have been given an HD ready TV by a friend of mine. http://reviews.cnet.com/projection-tvs/philips-55pp9352/1707-6484_7-8421161.html

I think it only has an NTSC tuner in it, and with the digital broadcasting switch coming soon I'd like to get it ready as well as take advantage of the HD option. I do not have Cable or Satellite, and don't really plan on getting it. I'm confused, and hoping that someone can help tell me what I need to have everything ready. I'm really not this dumb, but I just can't seem to understand all of this.

My understanding or attempted understanding is I need an HD Tuner and an HD Antenna, and then I can have HDTV and not be screwed in February. Someone told me I just need an HD Antenna with a regular digital converter box. I don't think that's true, but it would be nice to save some money.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh, and I know I don't need HD for the digital switch. I would just really like it.

Thanks,

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: So confused about my HD ready TV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: So confused about my HD ready TV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That someone is telling you the truth.
by ahtoi / January 1, 2009 5:27 PM PST

That is one of the way of doing it (saving money as well). Of course digital tuner is another way to go if that's you choice.

As for the antenna, there are no difference between HD/digital and the regular antenna; I believe most if not all tv broadcasting will be in the UHF frequency range. So a nice uhf antenna will do fine.

Collapse -
It depends on whether . . .
by Coryphaeus / January 1, 2009 9:17 PM PST

you want to watch HD TV or SD TV. That TV has component, (Y, pB, pR) inputs for HD signals. It also has SD TV inputs. So the choice is yours. Digital converter boxes come in two flavors. Output SD for plain old TV, or upgrade to an HD tuner with HD outputs. Price range is almost free if you have the coupon, or above a hundred bucks for HD output.

The antenna is your choice also. If your current antenna is receiving analog broadcasting now, it'll receive digital when the switch is thrown. I'm not talking about rabbit ears. You need a rooftop antenna.

Wayne (IBM freak - 7)

Click here to see the CNet faces, learn a little about analog and digital data, Internet connections, Spyware removal, and download free software (and a GREAT chocolate-cherry cobbler recipe).
There are 10 types of people who understand binary; those that do and those that don't.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.