Mac OS forum

General discussion

Snow Leopard will not install

by ulearnasugo / September 6, 2009 3:36 AM PDT

I know better than to buy a new operating system the first week it is introduced, but it sounded so good.
After inserting disc and starting install in my Macbook pro, it seemed to be installing but restarted the computer in about 20 minutes. WOW, fast install I thought to myself. Tried to use new features but realized I still had 10.5.8. Tried to install it again same result. Called apple tech. and they had me doing all kinds of things but determined it was a bad disc. They are sending out a new one ( Apple tech is the best ), I asked if anyone else had experienced the problem and was told YES. I only hope the next one works. I am now reading reports of HP printer problems. I hope the next disc they send will install and not have the printer problems.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Snow Leopard will not install
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Snow Leopard will not install
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
hp printers on install of sl
by DICKNPHYL / September 8, 2009 2:07 AM PDT

You may have to go to hp web site and get an updated driver for your printer. I installed sl and I have an HP D7260 photosmart printer and I had no problems with it at all. SL installed 98 % perfect. Had to update mail app. I have a Mac pro work station early 2008 360hd w/10g ram. Extra 1tb hd internal-!tb ext. & 500 gb.ext.hd-Epsonrx680 combo printer. Snow Leopard did an excellant job for me. I had prepped my comp.thoroughly by doing 3rd party updates-Ran disc utility and Disk Warrior. Also made sure that all Time Machine backups wre on an ext. drive.
Good Luck to you when you get new disc!!!!

Collapse -
by bboycounter23 / April 25, 2011 4:39 AM PDT

hey im having the same problem as u are i was woundering when your new cd for SL came in did u install it correctly this time?

Collapse -
I'm sure it did.
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / April 25, 2011 9:36 AM PDT
In reply to: problem

Why not start a new thread, instead of dragging up one from 09.

Collapse -
Did you manage to install?
by rolondon / May 30, 2011 1:25 AM PDT
In reply to: problem

I am having same problem, I am on an Intel IMac with 10.5.8, bought a new DVD with SL and so far haven't succeded at installing it...

Collapse -
Two things
by Jimmy Greystone / May 30, 2011 6:41 AM PDT

Two things:

First, see the post immediately above yours.

Second, probably 99% of the time I have an issue installing the OS, it's because of bad RAM. Probably 99% of that remaining 1% is a failing HDD. I've actually had a situation where a drive was early enough in the failure process that it could still pass even a full surface scan diagnostic, but for some reason or another, installing an OS caused the thing to crap out every time. Out of the remaining 1% of the first 1%, it's something like a bad optical drive or optical drive cable. However, that is exceedingly rare, because booting the OS installer should trigger a failure before you ever get to installing if either of those is bad.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions


Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?