HolidayBuyer's Guide

Mac OS forum

General discussion

Snow Leopard - when typing, curser will jump to another spot

by dlcole / October 8, 2009 8:04 AM PDT

I am running Snow Leopard on a new MacBook Pro.

I have noticed that often when I am typing, the curser will jump to another location. So, I might be typing on a line and then suddenly, the curser will jump to a line, usually above the line that I had been typing on.
Anyone else have a problem like this and does any one know how to fix this?
Any ideas would be appreciated!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Snow Leopard - when typing, curser will jump to another spot
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Snow Leopard - when typing, curser will jump to another spot
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I wonder if the possible cause
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 8, 2009 8:55 AM PDT

might be accidental touching of the touchpad?

Just a thought

P

Collapse -
Accidental touching of the trackpad
by dlcole / October 8, 2009 9:35 PM PDT

I thought that that might be it also . . . but even when I'm careful, it still happens.

Collapse -
Try this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 8, 2009 9:47 PM PDT

Turn off the trackpad and use an external mouse to see if its still that old issue.

Collapse -
Using a trackball from my G5
by dlcole / October 8, 2009 11:10 PM PDT
In reply to: Try this.

Various times I have used my trackball from my G5 and that works fine. I'm not sure how you go about turning off the trackpad. I went to the Preferences panel for the trackpad, but could find no way to turn it off.

Collapse -
Cursor jumping without reason
by GFW / October 9, 2009 10:13 AM PDT

This is not unique to Snow Leopard - I am using Tiger and the cursor jump happens to me too.
I have not been able to determine whether it applies only when I am using particular software, but I suspect it may be an interaction between some software and the MacOS.

Usually I find the curson somewhere over near the upper right corner - I keep my dock on the right hand side.

Collapse -
I have that problem too, in Leopard
by grtgrfx / October 9, 2009 11:59 AM PDT

Even brought the MacBook into Apple for a diagnostic. They never found the problem. And it happens with a mouse connected, too. So it's not an OS issue as much as a Mac/software issue. It's really annoying when I'm replying to an email and I discover I've started typing in the Subject field instead of the message!

Collapse -
Jumping Cursor
by graci24 / October 9, 2009 2:08 PM PDT

I have a Sony Vaio VGN-NR220E running a Vista 32 bit operating system with an Intel(R) Pentium (R) dual CPU T2330 @1.60 GHz, 1GB system. My cursor will also jump around, also my window will close and I will have to click on the explorer button at the bottom of the screen to click on the link and bring it back up again. I think I may have to many windows open at once. I also have a window come up to say that internet explorer has stopped working, in a short time span it will come up to say it has been recovered and I can continue on because the only change to the screen was the windows that came up and I deleted them. I believe whoever said that it could be the page we are on could be going in the right direction with that thought.

Collapse -
I have also experienced this happening especially with Gmail
by divendave / October 11, 2009 11:09 PM PDT

I am still fairly new to the Mac. I noticed this happened on occasion especially when typing in gmail with 10.5. When Snow leopard came out I installed it and have noticed the frequency of curser jumping has increased to the point that it is more than noticeable. It must something with the operating system because I am using the iMac 3.06. I notice it happens most with gmail and often if I begin a reply with a capital I it will act like a hot key and open a new program, though not always the same program.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.