General discussion

Snow leopard and Lion as dual boot?

I have two Macs that run Snow Leopard. Lion looks to be quite different and offer great new features, particularly the app store. So, can a Mac become dual boot like a Linux can? I mean, may I co-install Lion side by side with Snow leopard rather than overwrite it? I have successfully done this operation on a Linux Ubuntu netbook with two different versions of Ubuntu, and a Windows 7/Ubuntu netbook. But I've never tried this on a Mac. Does a Mac OSX install allow options for how the user will install the new OS?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Snow leopard and Lion as dual boot?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Snow leopard and Lion as dual boot?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
I doubt it

I doubt it. It could be done, but you'd have to go out of your way to make it happen. You'd either have to partition your drive or use a secondary drive, probably external.

You can install a different OS onto a given partition, and then select that partition using the boot selector, same as a secondary or tertiary drive, but you'll be on your own to manage it all.

But I don't really understand the point in all of this. Virtually all software will continue working exactly the same as it has. The only exceptions would probably be very old software that are using now depreciated APIs. So that would mean that either the programs have been abandoned, or the developers are lazy (or possibly inept) and failed to act within the ample time (over a year) provided to them. Either scenario makes for a compelling case to find a replacement program.

- Collapse -
Snow leopard and Lion as dual boot

Thanks. If I will still be able to run all my apps that I have now, then maybe dual booting isn't necessary. But I was thinking along these lines because I think that Lion may be entirely different from Snow Leopard, and that I might like it in totally different ways, yet still like what I have in Snow Leopard and want to keep that too. Maybe I should play with Lion at the Apple store when it's available and see what it's like, then decide on the upgrade.

- Collapse -
Unlikely

It's highly unlikely that at the core level where apps are concerned, Lion will be much different from any other version of Mac OS X. The biggest problem I see is if you have a lot of Java apps, now that Apple decided to dump their efforts of porting Java. Odds are Steve and Larry aren't BFF's, and so Lord Steve's ego comes before the interests of users and business partners. But Java has been kind of a second class citizen on Mac OS X for some time now, so I don't think it will have that big of an impact on you and me, unless you're a code monkey by trade.

From what I've gleaned, Apple seems to be reviving an old alternative shell they had back in the OS 7.5 days. I forget the name, but it had buttons that served as program launchers and pages. Very reminiscent of the iOS interface really, and it sparked a couple of knockoff efforts for Windows. I know Packard Bell had something similar. Think they called it PB Navigator. But anyway, it was always optional, and you could use the traditional Finder interface. People are getting their panties all in a bunch over nothing. This isn't like the update from OS 9.2 to OS X, this is a minor update to OS X. They'll remove some APIs that were depreciated probably back around 10.4, I wouldn't be surprised if they get rid of Rosetta now that it's been 6-7 years since the shift to x86 and the Universal Binary goes away with it... But most people probably will hardly notice the difference.

CNET Forums

Forum Info