Speakeasy forum

General discussion

SneaKeasy

by IZRD / August 14, 2006 4:13 AM PDT

This weekend I am joining a lot of the country in getting Sky TV.

I have afew TV's and sky want something stupid like another

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SneaKeasy
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SneaKeasy
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
In my area...
by Angeline Booher / August 14, 2006 4:28 AM PDT
In reply to: SneaKeasy

... in the US, cable companies used to charge extra for more than one TV. However, they now only charge a one-time reasonable fee to run another line(or lines) to other sets. 5 is the limit without an amplifier.

(I'm not sure if your service is cable or dish or satellite.)

I do know that my cable company can easily spot attempts or applieances to cheat them,so I doubt if many, if any, get by with it any more.

Maybe somebody from the UK will chime in and advise you.

Good luck!

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
The cable companies make their money other ways now ;-)
by Evie / August 14, 2006 4:44 AM PDT
In reply to: In my area...

Our "interactive" cable services only work with the cable box. So while we can hook up several sets and watch lots of stuff, any "extended channels" and HD content is not viewable on the TV's w/o the box. For now, we have only the one HDTV so need the one box that we use with the DVR. For years before this latest technology upgrade, we only paid for cable service and had no use for the cable box (because we subscribed to no premium channels).

My sister has satellite that they only have on the one TV. The others only get whatever fuzzy stuff comes in over the old-fashioned airwaves. When we were kids, every broadcast channel came in crystal clear -- 3 networks, 3 local stations and PBS. Now there's so much interference almost nothing comes in well w/o cable or satellite.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
I don't ave HDTV.
by Angeline Booher / August 14, 2006 6:00 AM PDT

For years I had one cable box, then went to 2. When the digital boxes came out, I switched to it. When the IP service became available, I went with it,

About 5 or 6 years ago a rep called me, offering me a deal because "I was such a loyal customer". The deal was the second digital box-- for free! No monthly charge for the rental, no charge for it down the line.

(Yep- I rent the box. The charge is minimal, and it goes down regularly.) Both of them have been replaced by the company since. New features.)

My TV in the kitchen is straight cable.(Wonder if they will offer me another deal later/ "-) )

(I suspect part of it was that they were getting rid of their non-digital boxes.)

Can I tell a differende? Yes. Even in the sound.

A few months ago they replaced my son's box with a digital one, also for free. His remote is fancier than mine, as he has picture-in-a- picture.

TV is my friend. Happy

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
You gotta go HD, Angeline!
by Dan McC / August 14, 2006 6:09 AM PDT
In reply to: I don't ave HDTV.

There's nothing like the ballgame in HD.

Dan

Collapse -
I have to agree there!
by Evie / August 14, 2006 6:38 AM PDT

I have been bummed since NASCAR switched to TNT/NBC because we have no HD TNT channel and the first few races were back to normal Sad Full screen on the HDTV is just AWESOME!

Collapse -
Until we got the new TV ...
by Evie / August 14, 2006 6:19 AM PDT
In reply to: I don't ave HDTV.

... I can't honestly say I could tell the difference between the digi and regular cable. The new HDTV has the tuner incorporated, but we would have to get the cable company to ''install'' the card on the TV for it to work. The company told us that would still leave us w/o the interactive features of the box, so we went with the DVR. We don't pay extra for the HDTV box, but without it we don't get the channels.

Were I a cynic, I would think they developed this new technology just to get people to part with more of their money Devil We do use the channel listings, etc. and also have gotten some PPV sports packages. But the on demand features go largely unused. If it weren't for the DVR (which I LOVE having) I wouldn't bother with the box. I think the last time we had a box before the ''upgrade'' was like 10 years ago when it was required for the ''premium basic'' cable that included ESPN2 and the like. You need the box for the DVR service. But no more VHS tape clutter, looking for a blank tape (or one that can be taped over), missing shows, tape running out, etc.etc. is worth the service and then some! We especially like it for sports events because we can start watching from the beginning at any time while it is still recording. Previously we had two VCR's so that we could switch tapes in the recording unit and rewind the other to watch after an hour or so into the event. Pausing/recording live TV when you gotta go pee, take a phone call, or grab a snack/drink is nice too!

Evie Happy

Collapse -
Sky is sat service, correct?
by grimgraphix / August 14, 2006 4:37 AM PDT
In reply to: SneaKeasy

From the back of the satellite box comes a coaxial cable that goes to the TV, correct?

If so, then you can run that cable into a splitter ( a one source in - box - that splits the cable signal out to several sources )

Keep in mind though that you will have to change channels on the satellite box forcing you to watch the same thing on all TV's connected to it.

Of course you can also use an antenna for over the air broadcasts.

cheers
grim

Collapse -
Cheers
by IZRD / August 14, 2006 5:08 AM PDT

Many thanks on saving me

Collapse -
Is this service relatively new?
by Evie / August 14, 2006 5:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Cheers

Do you have cable over there?

What grim describes is OK, except if you have a family that wants to watch DIFFERENT programming simultaneously on the various TV's. Then it is a PITA.

Here in the US it seems that this was a drawback for satellite TV services. Now that many cable systems are going digital and offer advanced services requiring the "box", the satellite services have become more competitive. Still, I've seen more "up to 3 TV's for the same price" kind of deals lately than in the beginning.

If you don't mind my asking, how much do they charge for the single TV/service? Just curious what % more they charge for the added TV set. Our cable charges ~$5/month more for additional boxes, but those are only required to have premium channels (like HBO), interactive services (like on demand movies) and HD content. Just the TV with the cable signal from the "outside" gets us 100+ "regular" cable stations.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
Sky has been around for a while
by grimgraphix / August 14, 2006 5:56 AM PDT

and if I'm not mistaken is owned by Rupert Murdoch of Fox network fame.

An extra satellite box costs me $5.00 US per month for the additional programming fee. A far cry from the

Collapse -
So you're saying my sister is a cheapskate ;-)
by Evie / August 14, 2006 5:59 AM PDT

It may be that at this point they are looking at an installation fee as well, but no satellite on the TV in the bedroom we stay in when visiting Grin

Collapse -
A few dollars worth of coax cable
by grimgraphix / August 14, 2006 6:09 AM PDT

and a splitter box on the back of the satellite box can allow you to get up to change the channel in the middle of the night Wink

I have had friends stay in the guest bed room and on the couch at the same time. The person in the living room controls what the guest watches so I have warned the youngins roughing it on the couch not to turn on Cinemax when a nudie movie is on "just in case". Devil

grim

Collapse -
She lives in a newer home ...
by Evie / August 14, 2006 6:35 AM PDT

... that I presume is prewired for cable. Why they haven't tied their satellite TV into that system perplexes me, except that they aren't ''TV in the bedroom'' folks so for the most part it's not a priority for them. I understand the BIL routed an extra cable to the basement so they have TV for exercising down there, but such wiring could easily be run outside without ugly wires hanging around.

A while back the hubby and I got sort of into a TV Land/Nick@Nite on all night long routine. It's low volume and I don't ''watch'' it per se, but it's a habit. Not sure why the hubby got into it except that it just caught on from me. It started more as having something on in the background when hubby was away some nights -- otherwise I hear EVERY little stupid noise! So even when we stay elsewhere we need the TV on. I used to keep the radio on all night when at the folks, but since they brought back that nutcase Coast to Coast America show that's been out for a long while now. At my sister's, the TV on means waking up to stupid shows like elimidate, infomercials, or, worst of all, religous TV. Creflo Dollar is my favorite Devil

Sounds like if you put the parents in the bedroom that's a built in safety feature if kids on the couch get out of hand Wink

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.