Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Smoke 'em if you got 'em!

by Evie / November 16, 2006 10:06 AM PST

Or not ...

Smoking ban in works
COUNCIL WANTS LIGHTING UP LIMITED TO SINGLE-FAMILY HOMES, CARS

Belmont is drafting what experts say promises to be the most stringent local anti-smoking law in the nation -- one that would declare secondhand smoke a public nuisance and ban puffing in all public places and in multi-unit dwellings such as apartment buildings and condominiums.

You still could smoke in your single-family home. Or in your car.

While details of the proposed law are still under discussion and penalties for violations not yet set, the intent of the ordinance will be to protect residents from unwanted exposure to tobacco smoke and give them legal recourse to pursue a remedy if a problem from secondhand smoke persists, proponents say.

``This is a way to empower non-smoking people who are suffering under non-consensual secondhand smoke,'' said Becky Husmann, a San Jose resident active in advocating for tougher secondhand smoking laws in Belmont. Her father, 81-year-old Ray Goodrich, is a non-smoker who lives in a Belmont independent housing development. He suspects he's suffering from respiratory ailments due to exposure to secondhand smoke there....

This is just ridiculous IMO!

Evie Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Smoke 'em if you got 'em!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Smoke 'em if you got 'em!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Sounds like a police state
by duckman / November 16, 2006 10:08 AM PST
Collapse -
One thing that's kind of interesting here ...
by Evie / November 16, 2006 10:15 AM PST

... is that this woman essentially has admitted writing/supporting/promoting a law to benefit her father.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
Wow! I totally agree.
by Cindi Haynes / November 16, 2006 10:23 AM PST

How can they do something like that? If you own a townhouse or condo, you're supposed to sell and move if you want to continue to smoke?

I don't know how that will fly. I'm a reformed smoker (non-judgemental, hubby smokes, but not in the house or my car), but there's no way I'd support that kinda thing.

Cindi

Collapse -
Non of us smoke...
by Terry Browne / November 16, 2006 10:33 AM PST
In reply to: Wow! I totally agree.

and I have to say that it can be very annoying to have somebody even outside the building smoking when the smell goes right up through the window screen! However, I usually tell them to get aside and smokers are pretty cooperative (at least in this part of the city). I can understand that a co-op could/would implement a norm that prohibits the tenants from smoking.

Collapse -
If the building owner ...
by Evie / November 16, 2006 10:49 AM PST
In reply to: Non of us smoke...

... doesn't want to allow smoking, that's their perogative. But if a smoker is now limited to owning a single family home or renting one, that's pretty restrictive. I've never smoked and don't tolerate it well, but I had a roomate once that I allowed to smoke in her bedroom. It took a good rug shampooing to get the smell out when she moved out, but she used (as part of the lease) one of those air filters in the room with the door closed and it worked very well. The only time I had a problem was once when she had a couple of friends over all smoking in the room and going in and out to the bathroom. With that much smoke and the door flapping it did work its way around a bit.

If it is legal, it should take more than some guy suspecting second hand smoke exposure as the cause of respiratory problems.

Collapse -
some guy suspecting?
by jonah jones / November 16, 2006 4:23 PM PST

you may not agree with the solution, but the problem is there

Second-hand smoking, involuntary smoking or exposure to environmental tobacco smoke (ETS) all refer to the phenomena of breathing other people?s smoke. Second-hand smoke is produced during the burning and smoking of tobacco products. It results from the "sidestream" smoke which is emitted from the burning tip of a cigarette and the "mainstream" smoke that has been inhaled and then exhaled by the smoker.

Second-hand smoke is a complex combination of over 4000 chemicals in the form of particles and gases. It includes irritants and systemic toxicants such as hydrogen cyanide, sulphur dioxide, carbon monoxide, ammonia, and formaldehyde. It also contains carcinogens and mutagens such as arsenic, chromium, nitrosamines, and benzo(a)pyrene. Many of the chemicals are reproductive toxicants such as nicotine, cadmium and carbon monoxide. Second-hand smoke is also an important indoor air pollutant. The United States Environmental Protection Agency has classified second-hand smoke as a "class A" carcinogen for which there is no safe level of exposure. Carcinogens are cancer-inducing substances/chemicals.

There is substantial scientific evidence that second-hand smoke is a serious health threat. Non-smokers who breathe second-hand smoke suffer many of the diseases of active smoking. Heart disease mortality as well as lung and nasal sinus cancers have been causally associated with second-hand smoke exposure. Second-hand smoke also causes a wide variety of adverse health effects in children including Bronchitis and pneumonia, exacerbation of asthma, middle ear infections, and "glue ear" , which is the most common cause of deafness in children. Exposure of non-smoking women to second-hand smoke during pregnancy causes reductions in fetal growth, and there is also evidence that postnatal exposure of infants to second-hand smoke contributes to the risk of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS).
Tobacco smoke is also an important source of indoor air pollution, causing such immediate effects as eye and nasal irritation, headache, sore throat, dizziness, nausea, cough, and respiratory problems.

It is a ubiquitous problem because people from all cultures and countries are exposed to second-hand smoke. This exposure occurs under daily-life conditions: in homes, at work, on public transport, in restaurants, in bars ? literally everywhere people go.
Surveys conducted in countries around the world confirm widespread exposure. One survey estimated that 79 % of European over age 15 were exposed to second-hand smoke. Recent data from South Africa shows that 64 % of children below age five in Soweto live with at least one smoker in the house. The Cancer Society of New Zealand reports that that second-hand smoke is the third largest killer in the country, after active smoking and alcohol use

i guess that's why they call it 'public' health?

and yes, i smoke...

Collapse -
(NT) WHY don't they just make them illegal???
by Glenda / November 16, 2006 10:23 AM PST
Collapse -
Because, Glenda, "they" too are addicts:
by Paul C / November 17, 2006 3:06 AM PST

"They" are addicted to the revenue from tobacco taxes, not to mention all that money the tobacco industry shelled out a few years ago as a result of the multi state litigation.

Besides, it's always better if you have a whipping boy readily at hand.

As I type this, the radio just announced that Indiana governor Mitch Daniels wants a 25 cent increase in the Indiana cigarette tax. Apparently, the high is wearing off and Indiana needs a bigger fix...

Collapse -
Well, what do you expect...
by Rolway / November 16, 2006 10:35 AM PST

Isn't today 11/16/06 the day of "The Great American Smoke Out" or "Butt Out" or what ever happy BS they want to call it.

George

Collapse -
I wonder...
by J. Vega / November 16, 2006 10:51 AM PST

I wonder, will it include a similar ban on smoking marijuana? It hits me that if it is permitted, under the medical marijuana logic popular in some California cities, when somebody smokes it they are dosing others with their secondhand smoke of their medicine.

Collapse -
I also wonder about what you are thinking
by WOODS-HICK / November 16, 2006 3:19 PM PST
In reply to: I wonder...

maybe they might not care about their respiratory ailments. of course then they should make vicks vapo rub illegal, possibly limburger cheese. add to the equation that unrecognizable smell when mrs x makes what she calls soup. don't forget compost piles and those stinky farms with the lung ailments from bacteria and corn dust. then there is always body odor and flatulance.

public indoor spaces should be smoke free, also for fire prevention. but really, will smokers have to soon wear nasa surplus space suits to enjoy their wicked behavior.

is it possible that it is because he is EIGHTY-ONE?

Collapse -
reply to: I also wonder about what you are thinking.
by SFAQL / November 16, 2006 8:01 PM PST

Hi All,
Firstly,I read the SE forum posts often and enjoy getting everyones point of view.I think to educate smokers is an important step.If you have any thought for your fellow man,and children for that matter,don,t smoke near them.Both my wife and I smoke,and I will not allow ourselves or visitors to smoke in our home.Except in the toilet where I have installed a large exhaust fan in the ceiling.
It's a laugh a minute when visitors come over,and three or four of us all decide to have a smoke at the same time,in such a small area.
I have cats and I am not going to subject them to cigarette smoke.
Thought I would share my point of view with you.
Cheers Doug.

Collapse -
Tar and Feathers
by James Denison / November 16, 2006 9:46 PM PST

They used to tar and feather people like that, but for this group of town
council hooligans I'd suggest locking them in a smokehouse for about a week.

Collapse -
Nope. The tar contains
by drpruner / November 17, 2006 6:23 AM PST
In reply to: Tar and Feathers

smog-promoting components. Happy

Collapse -
Can't you see the growth of smoke houses
by Diana Forum moderator / November 16, 2006 10:26 PM PST

like crack houses. Devil

People calling a service that drives over so they can smoke in a car or people gathering in a house to smoke.

I did notice that they were talking about a lot of ordinances that were on the books that were never enforced. Sounds like they are planning for this to be one of them.

Diana

Collapse -
willie nelson's bus might work
by WOODS-HICK / November 16, 2006 10:44 PM PST
Collapse -
like cancer it is spreading
by WOODS-HICK / November 18, 2006 7:05 AM PST
Couple Forbidden From Smoking In Their Home

this is interesting: the home owners association passed this rule after this couple had been living there for five years. ex post facto and grandfathering must not apply to private associations.

would 'must smoke' communities be allowed?
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?