Following that it might help to try a follow-up with MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware:
download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from one of these locations:
Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
* Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
* If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
* Once the program has loaded, select "Perform Quick Scan", then click Scan.
* The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.
* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
* Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.(See Extra Note)
* The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
NOTE: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove,you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts,click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process, if asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately.
I told a friend I would help her install Avast, when I started her computer I could see she had some major problems,I installed Spybot S&D ran it and she had 681 problems, among them, smitfraud and a lot of variants there of.
What started out as a 20 min. install became a 4 hour clean up.
Spybot reported all problems fixed, I deleted restore points and went home.
The next day smitfraud was back.
Here's my question, I downloaded the Smitfraud fix and will run it on her computer later this week, will it do the trick, is there anything I should be wary of....any advice would be so helpful,
It's a Compaq desktop running XP.
Thanks for reading. Ann