Computer Help forum

General discussion

Smell of burning rubber/electronics?

by george-JL / November 9, 2006 10:23 PM PST

Hi all,

I've searched the forums about the smell of burning rubber or electronics coming out from old computers, and many people have said things like: "the PSU or some other component has fried" or "capacitors have blown/leaked".

This kind of scares me!

Because a couple of weeks ago I plugged in an old computer I hadn't been using for a while, and a weird burning rubber/electronic/(maybe chemical?) smell started coming out of the computer. The monitor was still on and it seemed the computer was still functional at this point.

I quickly turned the computer off and took it outside. However, by this point my room had been taken by the smell! I opened the windows to full and aired out my room for about a week, only to return to find that the smell is still there (albeit much fainter).

I tried using a wet rag with water and some mild detergent to clear the smell off the carpet, and it worked to some extent, but there are still traces of the smell in my room.

My main concern though, is this: the strange smell, is it harmful? Like, is a leaking capacitor harmful to your health? Or a fried component?

Thanks in advance for any responses, I apologise if this post went on a bit

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Smell of burning rubber/electronics?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Smell of burning rubber/electronics?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I doubt it
by jackson dougless / November 9, 2006 10:46 PM PST

The concentration of the particles in the room is probably pretty small, despite the smell, though the weaker the smell, the lower the concentration. I'm not an expert, but I would guess it would take prolonged exposure to high concentrations in order to be harmful. However, consulting an actual physician would probably be a better option. Their best guess would be much more educated than mine.

Collapse -
Thanks.
by george-JL / November 16, 2006 5:35 PM PST
In reply to: I doubt it

Thanks for replying. I am a bit of a worrier at times.

I'm not sure if the smell is even 'the original smell' anymore (maybe from airing it out so much, the outside smells of the night have invaded my room), but right now I'm considering changing the carpet...

Has anyone else experienced similar circumstances? How did you get rid of the smell?

Collapse -
Those smells
by Willy / November 16, 2006 9:06 PM PST

The causes you read about are true but even then its nothing to worry about as to your health that is. Unless, of course you're suspectable to such, you can proceed on. Understand, since you mentioned you powered-UP an old computer that 'dust' itself can be a smell factor as well. If you ever turned-ON a furance after being off all season until winter, you know what I mean. The smeall should cook off after being used for awhile, just place it in a vented room before returning it back.

FYI - As for the smell, you try to remove *any smell* within reason using white vinger and a clean rag. Soak and wring out the rag and whirl it around a effected room will help start clearing out the smell. Then vent the room of the vinger smell until you return.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Thank you
by george-JL / November 17, 2006 8:21 PM PST
In reply to: Those smells

Thank you for the response =).

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?