Samsung forum

General discussion

Smearing/ghosting only on SOME programs?

by Emerick99 / August 13, 2010 8:28 AM PDT

Hi, I have a two month old Samsung 32" LCD (LN32C350) and generally, it's been really good quality. Lately, however, I've been noticing obscene amounts of color smearing - although only on certain programs/channels. For instance, I don't have any problems with daytime television or reality TV. This problem seems to only occur during certain primetime TV shows, most notably on CBS and NBC. The effect happens most when people are moving and there are closeups of their faces. There will often be red/yellowish trails along their eyes, noses, and mouths, and also along the sides of their faces when they move. When it's the worst, there will be annoying hazy red shadows that follow their movements. I've also noticed this more when I first turn the set on, and it sort of gets better the longer I leave the TV on. If it matters, it's located in a fairly cold basement, although not overly cold (I'd say 65 F degrees at coldest).

What's going on? Is this a signal issue? I'm only connected through an antenna - no HDMI, cable box, or satellite. I know this isn't an issue with the TV itself because DVDs don't display this problem, nor do certain shows. HELP!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Smearing/ghosting only on SOME programs?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Smearing/ghosting only on SOME programs?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Smearing/ghosting only on SOME programs?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / August 13, 2010 11:58 AM PDT

Emerick99,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having this issue. This is usually due to signal compression, and likely has to do with the broadcast signal itself. Unfortunately, other than contacting the affiliates or getting closer to the signal, there may be few solutions available.

Just as a final possibility, you may have luck with an external HD tuner (usually around US $40), if you were interested in trying a different tuner. Results may vary, and the tuner in the TV is a good tuner, but if there's a return policy, it might be worth trying out to see if you get a better result.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Problems at start-up
by Emerick99 / August 22, 2010 12:07 PM PDT

Okay, so I'm still having the problem, but I've been noticing that it occurs most majorly when I first turn on the TV (I'd say for about, oh, 10 minutes after first turned on). Could this have something to do with the TV taking a while to warm up, and the pixels taking a little while to get energized after being off for so long? Again, my set is in a pretty cold basement and this might be the problem?

Collapse -
call antenna guy...
by sk528 / August 22, 2010 1:29 PM PDT
In reply to: Problems at start-up

..and have him checked signal quality - you may need a better antenna

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.