I offer ZERO P2P support. Get that clear before you complain about it.
1. Your router will have the latest firmware.
2. You won't use all the ports on the router, but use one connection for the cable modem and another to run off to a switching hub. It's odd the switching performance in these routers is other poor, but we can add a real switched hub to make up for this.
3. All machines will be free of spyware with tests by Spybot, Adaware, Cwshredder and Housecall. If you keep a pest, then you can't complain.
4. I never needed to forward any ports. As such, you'll have to ask the support for the software you are using.
5. Those P2P softwares are now plagued with corrupt downloads. Is it worth it?
i have this SMC7004VBR router to share broadband cable to 3 PC's. Everything works since in terms of connection and web surfing, downloading from websites and internet games etc without having adjusted any settings.
My problem is the HUGE drop in download speeds from programs such as Shareaza, Kazaa Lite and Bit Torrent. I am able to download and upload, but at speeds from 1-20Kb/s rather than the 10-200+kb/s i use to get without the router.
i am a network novice and dont know or understand much past what windows XP network wizards teach. I can log onto the http based config page from SMC but i dont know what settings need to be adjusted. I think i need to adjust something to do with port forwarding but thats about as much as i know.
i was hoping someone could give me a step-by-step of what i need to adjust/change to make these P2P programs work like they once did.
MANY MANY MANY thanks in advance