Phones forum

Question

smarty phone with best reception

aloha
i currently have a verizon samsung galaxy s3. at home i have to use a powered network extender to hear more than every third or fourth word during voice calls (txt mssg & email not a problem). however, power goes out frequently. can replace the phone next month. which verizon smarty phone has the best antenna/reception?
mahalo

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: smarty phone with best reception
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: smarty phone with best reception
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I've rarely found this to be a phone issue.

In reply to: smarty phone with best reception

For years I've found I need to swap carriers or technology to get better phone service. If I'm on CDMA, I flip to GSM, if GSM, over to CDMA. IF the phone works outside I can entertain getting a Wilson piece of gear to help with indoors.

There's also alternatives to cellular. I'm using Google Hangouts Dialer to place some calls. Super stuff.
Bob

Collapse -
google hangouts dialer

In reply to: I've rarely found this to be a phone issue.

aloha
set up a google hangouts dialer account. tried a call. got through now but when the power goes out the internet goes, and the cell phone doesn't work for voice, so wouldn't help then, which is when i need it.
cheers

Collapse -
Next down level tech?

In reply to: google hangouts dialer

Collapse -
landline

In reply to: Next down level tech?

aloha
don't want to do a land line.
smarty phone works better out in the yard but still only get every other, or third, word.
and it rains here almost every day so that's no fun either.
think it's a cell tower issue, am probably in a coverage shadow.
i do e911 cell tower systems testing and the phone works everywhere on all the other islands except at home.
any insight on an update verizon smarty phone with exceptional reception/transmission?
cheers

Collapse -
It's rarely the phone.

In reply to: landline

You need to try the other cellular system. If GSM, try CDMA, if CDMA try GSM.

I know folk want to drop the landline but for now, it's far more reliable than cell phones.
Bob

Collapse -
If you are in any sort of coverage 'shadow'...

In reply to: landline

...you have answered your own question. No phone is going to take care of the issue. You need to either 1) move your home to an area with coverage, 2) Find a provider who actually offers coverage in your part of beautiful Hawaii, or 3) Try adding an amplifier/repeater w/ outdoor antenna to bring in your signal properly to make it useful.

FWIW, the type of internet based network extender is not the type of product you need. Bob's advice to add a wilson amp/repeater is spot-on. Most importantly though, you also need a backup battery system for regular shorter duration power outages. If they are longer lasting, a small generator would be a must have to run all sorts of electronics.

Does your phone/service at your location support Verizon LTE yet? If so, a 4G/LTE Wilson product which also supports the appropriate additional frequency bands would be necessary/helpful. See here:
http://www.wilsonamplifiers.com/weboost-home-4g-cell-phone-signal-booster-kit-470101/

Collapse -
booster

In reply to: If you are in any sort of coverage 'shadow'...

mahalo for the info.
the wilson booster would work if i also got a backup generator, since it is 110v ac powered too.
was hoping for a simpler, less expensive fix.
whatever happened to cell phones that had an external antenna port? i had one years ago but no one does that anymore.
cheers

Collapse -
Those were trouble.

In reply to: booster

Because of the tech we would have to get into the bigger antenna would create other emission issues that won't fit in this reply space. There are smaller APC for example devices that even I've used for mission critical power backup. These are low power draw things so a small UPS may be more than enough.

Did you see if carriers in your area have GSM and CDMA? Switching has solved this one far too many times for me.
Bob

Collapse -
That would mean he would have to actually...

In reply to: Those were trouble.

...spend a little money or research to solve the issue. Clearly, not what the OP is assuming LOL.

Collapse -
It's a lot more in that state to do hard research.

In reply to: That would mean he would have to actually...

Let's hope they have friends that come to visit and then they can compare their carrier to his carrier. In this problem, the cure may be to call in a tech that will deploy what is needed and charge accordingly.

Frankly, a landline looks to be the cheap exit.
Bob

Collapse -
You are looking for a unicorn

In reply to: booster

Why not accept the reality of your predicament?

Collapse -
GSM/CDMA

In reply to: You are looking for a unicorn

this is what i found on the S3:

Technology GSM / HSPA
2G bands GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
3G bands HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100
Speed HSPA 21.1/5.76 Mbps
GPRS Class 12
EDGE Class 12

have been told that the Motorola Droid Turbo has the best radio by two different folks.
what do you'alls think?

LTE Band 13/4 (700/1700 MHz),
CDMA/1xEVDO Rev. A (800/1900 MHz);
Activate Advanced Calling 1.0 to experience Simultaneous Voice & Data
EDGE/GSM (850/900/1800/1900),
HSPA/UMTS(850/900/1900/2100)

that is all.

Collapse -
That won't tell if those work with your carrier or better

In reply to: GSM/CDMA

Than what you have. When in the fringe/shadow area the old try it to see method is what works. Not once did I find buying by spec help. In fact some locations are so bad that we know it's time to forget all but the landline.
Bob

Collapse -
Those S3 specs not correct for Verizon

In reply to: GSM/CDMA

That's a strictly GSM version of the Galaxy S3. If you are on Verizon's (CDMA) network, it's not what you own (although the Verizon issued S3 can be used on some GSM networks). That one is for ATT's (GSM) network, or something similar across the pond. Verizon's S3 contains the CDMA radio which you can see here:
http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=3804

Buying a turbo droid won't help your issue, since the crux of a problem is a lack of adequate Verizon voice (CDMA) signal at your residence. As a current Verizon (CDMA) customer, the Droid Turbo won't help you just because it contains extra GSM bands/radios. Verizon doesn't use GSM in the U.S.

Have a friend with ATT service come over to see if the situation is any different on his phone. That way you know you need to switch carriers. Even looking at the online coverage maps w/ ATT won't really be enough if there's serious topography involved (read, Hawaii).

edit: You *could* test an active postpaid or pre-paid ATT SIM card on your S3 to see if you can get voice service. There won't be any 3G however since your device lacks it. It would be GSM (voice) + EDGE (data).

Collapse -
s3

In reply to: Those S3 specs not correct for Verizon

mahalo for the heads up and all the info.

Collapse -
Might want to find out which carrier or carriers have

In reply to: s3

cell towers nearest your home location and explore phones using that technology.

On top of that, the protective case you put on the phone to protect it can adversely affect your cell phone's performance. I was just reading about cell phone cases for the new Samsung S6 and some reviewers complained about a loss of speed when putting the phone a case with a metal band or frame around the outside perimeter. Seems I remember something like that being a problem with Apple phone if you held it too tight at locations on the perimeter.

You may have to just buy and try and be ready to return it if it doesn't work in your locality.

Let us know how it works out.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Answer
Cellphone tower

In reply to: smarty phone with best reception

You might want to know what cellphone tower is near your house! I personally like Verizon and AT&T. I have an AT&T tower near my house which is why I get better reception with that carrier. However, it also depends how your house was built. Some parts of my house gets better reception than the others because of the internet connection line. There are many different factors to why you might have a difficult time with your cell phone!!

Collapse -
Re-read the entire thread

In reply to: Cellphone tower

That was (albeit indirectly) covered above(!)

cheers

Collapse -
Mahalo Best Reception

In reply to: Re-read the entire thread

Correct me if I'm wrong. But I think aloha/Mahalo could be referring to something different. For instance, in my experience, I've seen two different cell phones with the same provider and on the same plan, what would happen is one of the phones might not be getting a signal. And right next to that cell phone is another one which has a signal. One phone might not be able to connect to the internet while another phone right next to it is receiving a 4g signal. Mine is the one that was unable to connect. It's the HTC one Max. Sitting right next to me I either side were my wife sitting beside me on one side and My daughter on the other side. They both has Samsung phones and were surfing with 4g reception. Wife's phone is the Note 5 and daughter has the S4 mini. These are all Verizon phones and on the same plan! So I was wondering if I need to switch to a Samsung phone or shop for one with a better antennae. If this isn't what aloha/Mahalo was referring to, I'd still very much appreciate some feedback on this. Thanks on advance, everyone.

Collapse -
I read the entire thread

In reply to: Mahalo Best Reception

And while there are some phones slightly better and some are just trash, you've replied to an old thread in some hope to solve some issue.

What I find is that if I have say 2 different new Samsung phones and the service isn't that great, no other phone on that carrier will improve the issue. Sometimes the phones swap which will connect but if you find that one won't connect you swap that one out.

Collapse -
Mahalo is dealing with terrain issues

In reply to: Mahalo Best Reception

Simply not the same issue you are referring to. And the OP was still having issues, even with a network extender.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.