Samsung forum

Question

SmartTV user interface

by Al_Hasbrouck / January 1, 2015 11:14 AM PST

I bought a new 4K Samsung TV with the expectation that its user interface would be intuitive and consistent across the platform. It is neither. Pairing a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard was very difficult, and even then they don't work consistently. Tech support has been unhelpful. I'm extremely disappointed. Anyone had similar experiences? Advice to offer?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SmartTV user interface
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SmartTV user interface
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Yup.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 1, 2015 2:14 PM PST
In reply to: SmartTV user interface

As you discovered, and why I just turn off Smart Hub and use other things.
Bob

Collapse -
SmartTV user interface
by Al_Hasbrouck / January 1, 2015 10:40 PM PST
In reply to: Yup.

To R.Proffitt:
Good advice. I'm going to fall back on streaming content from my computer to the Samsung. That'll give me full control on a familiar (Windows) interface, with far greater reliability.
I wrote a review criticizing the unit and Samsung's dreadful user support. Samsung found it "unsuitable" and refused to publish it. So much for Samsung's interest in its customer base.
Oh, and I have been unable to log into my Samsung account through the TV. Works fine from the computer, though. Samsung even sent a technician to make a house call. He pronounced the TV just fine -- but it still works like an early buggy beta unit.
'Nuff said. No more Samsung for me.
Thanks.

Collapse -
I can explain that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 2, 2015 12:31 AM PST

TV makers think their stuff is fine because they compare it to days when the TV had no such features. They don't compare it to non-TV solutions and this is where everyone flies apart. That is, we are used to response times we see on smart phones, PCs and many other devices.

So if you put your blinders on, this would seem great compared to a TV of prior days.

I'm not saying it's right but they have their perspective. My thought is they invested a boatload of time and money that while pretty, is nothing I use.
Bob

Collapse -
SmartTV user interface
by Al_Hasbrouck / January 2, 2015 11:25 PM PST
In reply to: I can explain that.

Very good point about Samsung's marketing mindset. As we get ever closer to the convergence of personal technology into what theoretically will be a single unified and integrated system -- television, tablet, personal computer, phone, wrist watch and automobile chauffer, all rolled into one -- every device necessarily must be measured against every other device in terms of usability -- especially its user interface.
Samsung's SmartHub falls down badly on that score.
It's subjective, I know, but my "gold standard" is the GUI that Windows and Apple have made nearly universal. The SmartHub contains bits and pieces of it, but overall it's a radical departure, clumsy and unreliable, from the de facto standard.
And it's just too early for it to be on the market. Samsung still has not been able to log me into its own servers via SmartHub. It doesn't yet have a grasp of its own technology.
I've come to see all SmartTVs as a metaphor for a set of roller skates that are suddenly all the rage, a trendy new thing that can get me from my home to the grocery store, but with a lot of falls and wobbles and stumbles along the way. Meanwhile, there's a nice little Chevy (my PC) in the garage. It's a far superior vehicle. Why not use it instead of the roller skates?

Collapse -
Answer
try another bluetooth mouse
by hpp8140 / January 2, 2015 1:31 AM PST
Collapse -
SmartTV user interface
by Al_Hasbrouck / January 2, 2015 11:32 PM PST

Thanks for the advice. Actually, my mouse works OK as far as it goes. My complaint was a larger one about the lack of consistency and reliability across all the SmartHub apps.
Glad to see you're a MicroCenter fan. Me, too. Good outfit, that one. Never got a bad piece of advice from them, or a product that they would not happily stand behind.
Enjoy the TV!

Collapse -
consistency
by hpp8140 / January 3, 2015 2:40 AM PST

Yeah....as for consistency/reliability it is like any other computer system. Different companies develop apps and some are better programmers or have a larger budget than others.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?