Question

Smartphones with resistive touch screens?

I am looking to purchase a smartphone with a resistive touch screen, but I have been unsuccessful in finding one. Does anyone know of any, or are all smartphones manufactured with capacitive screens?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Smartphones with resistive touch screens?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Smartphones with resistive touch screens?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Why ??

Is there a specific reason you prefer a resistive touch screen over capacitive touch ?? Try using a phone finder tool like used by the internet site phonescoop.

- Collapse -
Typing problems with fingernails

I can type very quickly with my fingernails on my old phone that has a resistive touch screen. I have a hard time typing accurately on friends' iPhones because I find that the screen will not respond to fingernails and it has a lack of tactile feedback.

I know other women type using the sides of the fingers, use a stylus or Blackberry, but I'm wondering if additional options are available besides cutting my nails.

- Collapse -
Here's a recent list of smart phones with keyboards.
- Collapse -
Answer
No more of those today.

You saw those in Windows Mobile 4,5,6 phones as well as the Palm phones. The consumer voted thumbs down on these and here we are.

Maybe you can find an old smartphone and try out that one lone Samsung that comes with a stylus.
Bob

- Collapse -
Answer
Stay far away if possible

There's a huge reason why the newer phones are all capacitive. Much easier to use.

Hint: Look on Amazon or ebay. Older stock/used models only running some of the older mobile OSs mentioned in this thread. The T-Mobile Dash comes to mind. I picked one up back in the day for about $100 @ fleabay.

- Collapse -
Answer
resistive touch screen & capacitive screen

I don't know whether you know the differences between resistive touch screen and capacitive screen. Here, I'd like to share them that I have seen in other place.
There are several touchscreen technologies available in the market these days. Out of them 2 are very popular with mobile phones and PDA's . "Resistive" and "Capacitive" touch screen.

Resistive touchscreen are comparatively lower in price than active touchscreens. They are built with two flexible sheet coated with a resistive material and separated by microdots or air gaps. when pressed the sheets come in contact and register the contact location. Resistive technology works great with screens mostly used with stylus or any pointing object. But not very efficient in registering the pin point location when used with finger.

Capacitive touchscreen on the other hand is a glass surface coated with transparent conductors like indium tin oxide . As the human body is also a conductor, touching the screen with finger creates a electrostatic field, measurable as a change in capacitance. This location is then registered and action is made.

Most of the new touchscreen available in the market are now equipped with Capacitive touchscreen (pretty much all android and Apple phones).

- Collapse -
Answer
I have an LG Chocolate touch works with nails

I bought this phone about 4 years ago and loved it bc my long nails work great. I can text very quickly -I re bought it twice on amazon just because of this ability. Now it was stolen and I am in a quandry bc I would like a smartphone but none have this ability....do I sacrifice texting for apps?
But the point of this post is to tell you about the LG choc touch. I am 50+ years old and have loved it. It is beyond me how so many women with long nails can use Iphones and similar.........I just don't get it!!
You can buy this phone on amazon for about 50.00.........good luck
and if anyone knows of another phone with the resistive thing (can use nails) let me know...

- Collapse -
Thread closed

This thread was started more than a year ago and I am sure the OP already got a new phone by now.

CNET Forums