HolidayBuyer's Guide

Phones forum

General discussion

SmartPhone without a Data Plan

by Retire2Sail / November 27, 2009 2:28 AM PST

I know some of this has been covered some before, but none of the threads are current or quite answer my question. So, here goes!

My husband and I are in the market for new phones and service. Neither of us are tied to a contract. I've been on AT&T for over four years and I've been happy with the coverage. I do like the rollover minutes so I don't have to worry about going over one month when most months I'm way under. But, that's not a huge concern, so I'm not tied to AT&T. My husband will be converting from Tracfone, so he needs a new carrier anyway.

Since we're going to be charging and carting around a device anyhow, we'd like to have a phone with a few more features, like my old Palm Tungsten C (but much smaller!). Primarily, we'd like to be able to synch a calendar with Google and maybe Outlook, as well as have a notebook application. We understand that the synching might be a manual operation when we're connected to a wifi network. Neither of us are texters, though we might start using that feature a little bit. We're also geeky enough to want to play with whatever other features the phone comes with. Yup, we want toys! A camera, even video camera, is a nice feature for taking spontaneous pictures. I've been happy with my Palm and there's a Palm app I'd miss if I didn't get a Palm, but it's not very important. I can still use my old Palm for that occasional use.

But, the kicker is that we don't want to pay for a data plan which would run about $60/month! (Even if it were $10/month, that's more than the use we'd get out of it!) Both of us spend our days enveloped in WiFi coverage and constant access to nice, large computers where we'd rather surf than on a tiny phone. Yeah, it'd be cool, but I've got much cooler uses for $720/year ($1,440/contract!)! So, we want to get a smart phone with WiFi capabilities to use the WiFi access we have - and maybe occassionaly take advantage of a hotspot when we're out and about or travelling.

I understand that we will probably have to buy a second-hand or "unsubsidized" phone, so our initial phone cost might be as much as $200, even $400, each. But, that's still much cheaper than an extra $1,440 for a two-year contract!

Recently, it seems that some (all?) carriers have set up restrictions so you must have a data plan if you have a smartphone. Apparently, the phone will not allow use of the internal wifi if you don't have an active data plan - unless you've been grandfathered in. I have heard that it might be possible to buy an unlocked T-Mobile or AT&T phone or an unsubsidized phone, install my SIM card and just never "tell" AT&T that I have a smartphone. Someone also told me that you only have to carry the data plan initially for one month on Sprint, then you can drop it. Thataway, you even get a subsidized phone. I'm not real savvy with cell phones, so I really appreciate any help you all can provide!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SmartPhone without a Data Plan
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SmartPhone without a Data Plan
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Stick to T-Mo or ATT (UMTS/GSM)
by Pepe7 / November 27, 2009 1:07 PM PST

Yes, you could circumvent the data plan requirement by simply buying an unlocked/unbranded handset and use your current ATT SIM card /service. These are new phones and not used handsets, btw, and would indeed present a higher up front cost. Most of the unlocked smartphones can be synced to either google or outlook, sometimes requiring a third party app to do so. Keep in mind the handset you bring to ATT must not be ATT branded so the don't detect the IMEI and try to force the data plan later on at some point.

If you like ATT's coverage it seems silly to port to another carrier when you can simply go unlocked/unbranded. Something like the Nokia E63-2 or E71-2 for sale on Amazon might work.

Collapse -
how about samsung jack with at&t
by bobby_81 / December 30, 2009 2:37 AM PST

Could i get samsung jack from ebay and pop in my current at&t sim card and make the wifi work without data plan?

Collapse -
maybe
by birdmantd Forum moderator / December 30, 2009 3:44 AM PST

Might be possible if the phone is unbranded (no At&t) logo. No guarantees either way.

Collapse -
Nexus One
by BT1950 / January 26, 2010 9:17 AM PST

Could I buy an unlocked Nexus One from Google and then put an AT&T sim card in it and not be required to have a data plan?

Collapse -
Yes
by Pepe7 / January 26, 2010 10:57 PM PST
In reply to: Nexus One

It shouldn't be an issue since ATT does not sell the Nexus one nor does it have ATT software onboard.

But the question remains- do you really want to bother with a phone that only gets EDGE and not 3G w/ ATT?? Seems a bit silly to me with so many other decent phones to choose from.

http://gigaom.com/2010/01/11/att-nexus-one-3g/

Collapse -
Will the my touch 3g still work without a data plan?
by vron_12 / February 3, 2010 1:49 PM PST
In reply to: Yes

I'm on tmobile's family plan with my mom and i doubt she would add the data plan ($30.00) to the pre-existent plan, so i was wondering could i still get the my touch 3G and will it work fine, excluding the internet features, without the data plan. I don't plan on getting on the internet on the phone much anyway. If i could get the phone unlocked would that solve the problem and will i still be able to connect to wifi?

I really want the my touch without the internet but the cool features...

Collapse -
Not certain about T-Mo firmware restrictions
by Pepe7 / February 3, 2010 2:30 PM PST

Definite pay a visit to Howardforums.com. I would imagine Android lets you do this, but just to be certain I'd ask the same question in the T-Mo sub-forum there.

-P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.