Phones forum

General discussion

smartphone w/out data plan?

by rcd98 / July 15, 2010 10:47 PM PDT

i am on at&t and i was wondering if it was possible to buy a smartphone like an iphone or blackberry off of ebay and put my sim card in it and it still work and everything but w/out a data plan? and also could i still download games and apps on the iphone as long as they dont connect to the internet?
Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: smartphone w/out data plan?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: smartphone w/out data plan?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
suggestion
by birdmantd Forum moderator / July 15, 2010 11:09 PM PDT

Only an unbranded phone (never sold/used by At&t) can be activated on At&t without the required data feature. Blackberry or iPhones (any model) would not be exempt.

One sidenote, even users of the Nexus One sold by T-mobile were required to carry a data feature. There are several posts about Nexus One users getting a notice from At&t.

Collapse -
so if.......
by rcd98 / July 16, 2010 12:08 AM PDT
In reply to: suggestion

so if i bought one that wasnt on at&t's website i could get it w/out a data plan?

Collapse -
if i got one that wasnt a smartphone....
by rcd98 / July 16, 2010 12:12 AM PDT
In reply to: so if.......

if i got one that wasnt a smartphone could i still put games and apps on it that arent from at&t's website? i have a samsung impression and it wont take any of the games and apps i put on it. which kinds arent a smartphone that i can put games and apps on?

Collapse -
suggestion
by birdmantd Forum moderator / July 16, 2010 1:52 AM PDT

I had a old Sony Ericsson P 850 smart phone (Symbian operating system) that would not require a data plan. At&t/Cingular never sold the phone and I could download games/applications directly from internet (usually for a modest charge). Since the phone had the necessary frequencies (850/1900 mhz) it worked perfectly on the network. I did have to do a little configuration to work on the At&t/Cingular data network but it was no big deal. The biggest drawback is that I had to pay full retail cost for the phone. At&t won't give you any discounts for bringing your own equipment.

If you can detail what phone requirements you are looking for, I am sure you will get some good phone suggestions.

Collapse -
what i want
by rcd98 / July 16, 2010 2:05 AM PDT
In reply to: suggestion

i am looking for a phone that has a a touch screen and or a full keyboard, has bluetooth, a phone that you can download games and apps too, maybe a smartphone, 3G, uses a sim card. That was all i can think of right now if i think of something else i will post it. I am thinking a blackberry bold even though its not 3G, and maybe a blackberry storm since they are tmobile and i can just pop my sim card into it.

Collapse -
Nexus One & Dell Slate
by Gordy_O / July 16, 2010 3:01 AM PDT
In reply to: what i want

The Nexus One and possibly the Dell Slate will meet your needs.

Collapse -
No on the Nexus One
by birdmantd Forum moderator / July 16, 2010 4:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Nexus One & Dell Slate

As I stated previously, At&t has been cracking down on Nexus One users (even unlocked or unbranded) and required data plans. Not a good choice for the OP. This has been documented several times in other phone forums.

Collapse -
Yes on a T-Mo branded Storm
by Pepe7 / July 16, 2010 6:05 AM PDT
In reply to: what i want

ATT won't care since I don't believe they ever carried the Storm. They won't recognize the IMEI and hence will not trigger your account with the dreaded 'add the appropriate data plan' message. Just stay away from the iPhone, Nexus One and all other ATT branded handsets to avoid such issues.

Otherwise, you will be limited to unbranded HTC touch screen models via newegg, amazon (etc.) which aren't cheap, and aren't always available in NA variants. Personally, I prefer to have the 3G bands on what I use with a primary carrier.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.