Cameras forum

General discussion

Smartmedia Panorama mode

I have an Olympus C700 and would like to try thr panorama feature. It looks like I must use Olympus media. I looked and found a way to use non-Olympus media but it requires using a writer to reformat the card. I do not have one. Can I use a hex editor to access the CIS files on the smartmedia and fake it out? I have looked at the card in the camera with Winhex but cannot seem to find the CIS info blocks. Is my only alternative to buy a media reader and reformat the cards that way? Thanks, Vince Radice

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Smartmedia Panorama mode
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Smartmedia Panorama mode
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I don't know what you are doing, but my Nikon 4500

In reply to: Smartmedia Panorama mode

has a panoramic feature. It has nothing to do with the memory card. When you put it in panorama mode, on the second and subsequent shots, it shows about 1/3 of the previous shot in the viewfinder. You line that up with your present shot, and take the picture. The Nikon software, on a computer, can probably stitch the photos back together. You can do the same thing in an image editing program.

Collapse -
Smart Media panorama

In reply to: Smartmedia Panorama mode

I have an older Olympus with smart media and I remember something about having to use Olympus brand media for the panorama.

Since smart media is getting hard to find, it is interesting to know that there is a way to modify other brands of smart media.

If you can see the data on the card with a computer, while it is in the camera, does not mean that you can write to the card under those conditions. The camera would have to have some firmware that would let you do that. So before you get too involved with changing something on the card, you should see if you can actually write to the card from the computer.

If that fails, then the only answer is a card reader.
Be sure you get one that can handle smart media.

You can find 6in1, 7in1, etc readers that handle smart media at bargain prices:

http://www.geeks.com/products.asp?cat=CAM#CameraMemoryCardReaders

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.