Samsung forum

Resolved Question

Smart TV stops data

Ever since we changed to Optus Fetch TV, which brought with it a Netgear CG3000 Gateway, we have had intermittent complete loss of data. Any device connected to the gateway, wireless or cable, shows an active connection but no data comes through. Optus have been unable to locate the problem (4 visits, innumerable lengthy call to the help desk - all which shows there bing no problem). We now seem to have identified a pattern. Turning on the TV (a UA46ES7100) results in a cut off of all data. Turning it off fixes it. I have done it enough now for it not to be a coincidence.

Any and all suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Tim

purfler has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Smart TV stops data
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Smart TV stops data
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by purfler

Collapse -
You need a better network tech.

In reply to: Smart TV stops data

The gateway should be fine (http://www.netgear.com/service-providers/products/cable/gateways/cg3000-cg3100.aspx ) but I'm not there to try anything and I'm finding folk that don't want to become computer scientists.

Again, these products work in most instances but here is a system that doesn't work. What the issue is, is not evident given the facts so far. A better than average network savvy engineer would be needed. There are of course odd devices that can kill a WiFi network. Your post didn't reveal if this was a wired or WiFi connection. Yes we could clear that up but the bottom line is that it may be too painful to deal with.

Advice? Return products that can't find support. Go with stuff that works.

In the case of the smart TVs I've been known to turn off the smart part and add some Apple TV, Roku, Amazon Fire or other solution.
Bob

Collapse -
A solution might have been found

In reply to: You need a better network tech.

Thanks very much for the comments so far. After posting my question I spend some more time searching for solutions or similar problems reported by others. To cut a long story short, I updated the firmware - this did not seem to improve anything, but should have been done anyway. I found the way to do a factroy reset and did that. Last night that seemed to fix the problem, but it was getting close to midnight and I decided to give it a rest. I do not want to experiment anymore this morning as my daughter has a uni exam today and needs the net. Once she's gone I look into it again further.

Bob - another aspect I think is related is that the TV has been unable to establish a wifi connection. Everythin looks correct but it doesn't connect. Wired is fine. However, since setting the Optus STB we have used that as its features are better than the TV's. It is wired.

More later. I remain deeply unhappy with Optus' tech support. As soon as it was outside the blindingly obvious most of their staff were utterly unable to make useful suggestions. I have worked using networks for 25 years and used to run our own office Novell network so I'm not totally stupid in this. I have also spoken to network engineers at the university where I work who pointed me in the direction of the TV or other device as the probable source of the issue which they see as being caused by the Netgear Gateway. Why someone from the vendor wqas not able to suggest this once the obvious things had been discarded I have no idea. The classic was the third or 4th tech who arrived to try to trouble shoot and wen to the wrong house. Our house number is in five places out the front. This does not inspire confidence.

Tim

Collapse -
Good to read it's wired.

In reply to: A solution might have been found

That sidesteps a lot of the WiFi smart tv issues. These are nothing like our laptops such as range, etc. I find it best to start at under 20 feet to the hot spot and any filter settings, hidden SSID, guest network (the list goes on and on) and then you have carrier issues where their DNS is out of date, well, that's so much to cover isn't there.

Expecting Optus support for a Samsung product is a reach. Samsung already walks away from fixing ISP issues so here we are with products that when mixed finds a pile of mud.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks and clarification

In reply to: Good to read it's wired.

Thanks again Bob. I have now put the TV on - but have not attempted to connect it to the next just as I had it last night - and so far the 'net continues to oerate on other devices in the house.

By way of clarification, I did, and do not, expect Optus to solve what I think I have now identified as a Samsung problem. What I did and do expect is a level of support that could: 1. conclusively elimate them from being the cause, and 2. having done so, provide some suggestions as to where to look next. To be fair to Optus, since a call to them the other night where I said I intended to end our contract I have had three call from support. Unfortunately these have all been at times I have not been here.

Regards,

Tim

Collapse -
Answer
Re: smart TV stops data

In reply to: Smart TV stops data

Something incompatible, it seems. Those are difficult problems. Usually one party (Samsung) says that it's a problem of the other party (Netgear or Optus), while the other parties say the same ("not our problem, call Samsung").

In this case I'd first try another (smart) TV (maybe a friend or familly member is willing to bring his TV for an experiment)? If that's OK, it's surely a problem with the TV (either the model or this particular one).

Kees

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.