Thank you for being a valued part of the CNET community. As of December 1, 2020, the forums are in read-only format. In early 2021, CNET Forums will no longer be available. We are grateful for the participation and advice you have provided to one another over the years.

Thanks,

CNET Support

Resolved Question

Smart TV problems with YouTube.

Aug 29, 2013 10:42AM PDT

Hi. I don't understand technology much so may have missed something in other messages. My problem is that my Samsung Smart TV does not connect properly with YouTube. Some videos that were available no longer appear when I search for them and others that I can find on my computer just don't show up on the TV.

Samsung technical support say that's the way it works -- too bad -- even though YouTube is the reason I bought it, believing the Samsung advertising that I had access to YouTube. Samsung didn't say it was only a small piece of YouTube.

Is there something I can do, or am I stuck with it?

Mandasimms

Discussion is locked

mandasimms has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Samsung will never update their Youtube app
Dec 5, 2013 11:30AM PST

I'm surprised that no one from Samsung came up with a cold, hard truth - that Samsung only supports TV's apps for 2 years. For example NO TV's from 2012 and earlier will get ANY software updates in 2013.

I know that because my friend works in the company that makes streaming app for Samsung (among other tv platforms)

Why these Samsung techs keep asking us to reset password and firmware when the KNOW that NO TV's from 2012 and earlier will get ANY software updates in 2013 INCLUDING YOUTUBE APP???

THERE WONT BE ANY UPDATE FOR YOUTUBE APP ON 2012 AND EARLIER SAMSUNG TV.

- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Similar Problem.
Aug 27, 2016 9:59PM PDT

I have a Vizio smart TV, until a few weeks ago any video I watched on YouTube in my desktop computer could be watched immediately on YouTube on my Vizio TV but since ATT changed my modem, because it wasn't working properly, I haven't been able to watch on the TV the videos I search for on my computer, it is not that YouTube is not working on the TV it is just that I can't see the videos I search for on the computer. I followed some instructions given to me on the TV when I tried to sign out of my account but nothing changed. Is there anyone who can help me with this issue ? Thank you very much in advance.

- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Smart TV 2018
Nov 27, 2018 3:09PM PST

I brought my Bush TV in April 2018 so it's not even 8 months old yet and it has dedicated buttons for YouTube and the internet. Both work intermittently as and when they want. It's not a remote or battery issue as I have 2 identical remotes that both work apart from these buttons.
Have smart TVs stopped being updated? I wouldn't have thought they would still be selling them if they were going to not work to their full capability after less than year.

- Collapse -
Please create a new post.
Nov 27, 2018 3:16PM PST

That way I can directly answer you about changes by Google and YouTube. In short, it's gone. This is not a choice by the TV manufacturers.

Best Answer

- Collapse -
MONETIZING lol
Aug 30, 2013 9:53AM PDT

Easy to skirt this trick, so long as your Smart TV has a web browser. I never use the youtube app. Let them lock out app users, dirty trick as it is... but they will never target browsers.

Carry on

Frank

- Collapse -
(NT) Thank you, Frank. Much appreciated. Mandasimms.
Aug 30, 2013 10:15AM PDT
- Collapse -
RE: Smart TV Brower
Oct 12, 2017 12:49PM PDT

I have a 2016 Magnavox Smart TV (actually 2 of them) and just this week they stopped loading YouTube. How can i find the browser in my TV's so I can view YouTube through the browser instead?

- Collapse -
Re: find the browser
Oct 12, 2017 1:32PM PDT

If it has one, the user manual might tell how to use it. Without details like a type number even if members that can do it on their own TV, can't tell you.

- Collapse -
Help
Oct 12, 2017 4:46PM PDT

I have the same tv. But no manual, did you figure out how to get the browser to work by chance?

- Collapse -
Re: manual
Oct 13, 2017 10:28AM PDT

I would be amazed if the manual wasn't available for download at the Magnavox site. But why does a clairvoyant like you (who knows he has the same TV as the OP, who didn't tell the model number) need a manual?

- Collapse -
Oct 14, 2017 5:51PM PDT

The same thing happened to my philips stupid tv, as opposed to smart tv. The manyal mentions nothing about the browser. So what the hell are they doing to our tvs?

- Collapse -
Smart tv
Nov 27, 2018 3:11PM PST

My web browser button on my TV doesn't work either. I don't have any way of connecting to the internet and my TV is less than a year old.

- Collapse -
Answer
Same issue with other smart things.
Aug 29, 2013 11:11AM PDT
- Collapse -
Thank you.
Aug 30, 2013 10:10AM PDT

Thank you, Bob, for the explanation. I hope Samsung have enough integrity to stop offering something they can't deliver on.
Mandasimms

- Collapse -
Hope to clear something up.
Aug 30, 2013 11:40AM PDT

The Youtube app is not from Samsung. It's from Google.

You can see similar issues with the Hulu+ app versus Hulu.com on a browser. This is not a Samsung app.
Bob

- Collapse -
Google writes the app for Samsung, Vizio, Sony, etc...?
Dec 14, 2015 8:16AM PST

So you're saying that google writes the app for every smart TV manufactured around the world? I have a Vizio from around this time, and it also stopped playing Youtube videos due to the API changes google recently made. Google offers the API so developers can write apps.

- Collapse -
Thanks for this. Sorry to reply so late.
Mar 13, 2017 11:07AM PDT

Thanks for pointing out the API and such but yes, the YouTube app as far as we know is from Google and not the TV maker.

Post was last edited on March 13, 2017 11:10 AM PDT

- Collapse -
Answer
Check Your Time/Time Zone
Oct 10, 2016 10:28PM PDT

I was having issues playing YouTube, and Netflix videos on my 7000 series Samsung. I went into my TV settings and checked my time zone and current time. Time zone was set incorrectly. Once I changed it to my local time zone I stopped having issues!

- Collapse -
Answer
My Fix
Dec 30, 2016 3:38PM PST

I had an Amazon Fire Stick streaming device on my prior TV. Then, I upgraded to a Samsung 49" UHD TV and found that it had a YouTube app. As YouTube was my only use for the Fire Stick, I disconnected it and stored it away. YouTube wirked fine until about mid December 2016 when it began giving me a blank gray screen. All else was fine. No other app problems. Nothing worked to fix my problem, so out came that Fire Stick again. I had plugged it into HDMI port 4, fiered it up, signed in and found the Youtube app on it. Now I eave it there on the Yutube app. On the Samsung Smart Hub that pops up on the bottom of my TV screen, I renamed the HDMI4 input port YOUTUBE and moved it near the things I use often. So, now I have a quick way to YouTube, just as if the app worked. Also, it is nice that the TV remote works with the Fire Stick so I don't need to use the Fire Stick remote. Since the Fire Stick sells for only $39.99, I consider this an acceptable solution after having spend about $1,000 on the TV.

- Collapse -
Answer
Smart tv YouTube problems
Mar 13, 2017 11:03AM PDT

Hi for Christmas my and my brother got a smart tv (one each) and everything was working fine for a couple of months and I watched YouTube every single day for hours on it but I noticed recently after not using it as much that whenever I press the YouTube button on my remote it takes my to ITV2 +1 every single time. It lets me go on YouTube but I have to go on the internet on my tv and go on YouTube that way which is fine but it's easier with my remote so I thought it was my remote for my tv so I got my brothers remote and pressed the button and nothing happened other then went to ITV2 +1 so I knew it was my tv but it wasn't damaged or anything and is only almost 3 months old does anyone know anything I can do to get this working

- Collapse -
Avoid placing a new question in old threads.
Mar 13, 2017 11:09AM PDT

Try a factory reset and then set it up again so all the buttons are default.

If that doesn't work call it in to report the bug.

- Collapse -
Answer
Smart TV Browser
Dec 19, 2017 3:07PM PST

Why does my browser no longer play streamed music? I have always used the tv browser to play Christmas music streamed from K Love radio station. All of a sudden it wont. I can go to it, it looks like it works, but no sound comes out. I have tried other stations and the same thing happens. I can use youtube and any website with out sound. Walmart.com works fine. Just not my Christmas music. Can someone please help?

- Collapse -
Avoid placing a new question in old threads.
Dec 19, 2017 5:28PM PST

The most likely issue is the web site changed and is no longer compatible with this Smart TV. As Smart TV makers don't update the browser to be more PC capable, when it dies, it dies.

I wish there was better news.