Samsung forum

Question

Smart TV Compatibiltity with Cable Box...

by w9026 / July 17, 2013 12:38 AM PDT

Hi! I am interested in a new Samsung TV. I was at Best Buy yesterday and the salesman showed me a 'demo' of a program guide and searching for content on cable TV (Comcast). He said that it gets the info over HDMI and could also control the cable box (channel changing) over HDMI. Since I have had a heck of a time getting anyone at Comcast or Motorola to say whether a particular box is HDMI-CEC compatible, I thought I would post here to see if anyone can confirm or deny this capability. Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Smart TV Compatibiltity with Cable Box...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Smart TV Compatibiltity with Cable Box...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Hard to tell what you have. Try adding more detail.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 17, 2013 4:49 AM PDT

There should be a make and model number on said cable box so add that and the full model number of the Samsung so everyone that answers has all the details.

Do not reply to this post but your top post as I can clean this off later.
Bob

Collapse -
Clarification Request
Equipment
by w9026 / July 18, 2013 1:29 AM PDT

Thanks Bob,

I have a Motorola DCH3416 cable box and am looking at the new Samsung 8000 series - let's say the PN60F8500AFXZC (60" Plasma)

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
TV manufacturers have lost their way!
by h61551 / July 17, 2013 5:37 AM PDT

IMHO, major TV manufacturers like Samsung, Sony, etc. seem to have lost their way. In the rush to make their products technologically superior and to incorporate capabilities to access Internet websites,like Netflix, Hulu+, Amazon, etc. they seem to have forgotten that in the first place users need a simple, functional TELEVISION.

Recently I bought a 5 series Samsung SmartTV with wi-fi access to internet, etc. After connecting the TV using a HDMI cable to the cable-box, I find that when I wish to change the TV channels, I must use the remote provided by the cable company. The remote provided by Samsung can only control the volume on the TV but it cannot change channels! This totally defies logic. In the past we all have always used a single remote to control both these basic functions while watching television. The TV remotes were made capable that way.

The Samsung remote does have the usual 10 digit buttons and also a +/- toggle button to change channels, but these buttons work only if, I connect this TV to receive off-the-air broadcasts channels or to a cable connection that brings unscrambled broadcasts not using a cable-box (set-top box). Such transmissions may be digital but not necessarily very sharp and probably (I am guessing) 90% of homes in US may not qualify. I was later advised that I may be able to have this "privilege" of using a single remote by spending $150 or more for another model.

A comparable TV from SONY also had similar constraints.

My advice for W0926 is explore fully and do not go by entirely what the salesman describes to you.

Collapse -
Cable providers too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 17, 2013 5:48 AM PDT

As you know there is a battle for subscribers and cable has been fighting to avoid being just a pipe for the internet and frankly why would they co-operate with the TV makers to integrate the systems? It's not in their interest as they want to provide the cable decoder with Netflix, DVR and more to capture that revenue.

Pay per view is big bucks and they don't want to let that or anything replace them.

As to your 90%, very few analog cable systems remain as cable companies don't want you to install one line and feed many sets anymore.
Bob

Collapse -
... but the TV and cable-box are both from Samsuung!
by h61551 / July 17, 2013 11:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Cable providers too.

Thanks for the observations, Bob.

The frustration is even greater because the TV, as well as the cable-box (set-top-box) are both made by Samsung. Go figure!

All it really takes, is for the manufacturer of TV's to provide an IR-port in the back of the TV, to plug in a long enough cable with a tiny transmitter at the other end which is placed in front of the IR sensor of the cable-box.
Not much of engineering design or cost, is there?

As long as folks put up with such stupid inconveniences, there will never be better products.

Collapse -
And I thought it was other things.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 18, 2013 12:33 AM PDT

In my work, patents still create snafus and bad decisions. The HDMI, HDCP fiasco is a recent yet another "Well it could do that if we allowed it."

So I can get 5.1 sound if I play from USB but not if I connect my BD player via HDMI?

I wish I could write I am frustrated but I'm not. I have worked in the industry long enough to see they have built a trap or prison (depends on point of view.)
Bob

Collapse -
Experiencing an issue with similar symptoms
by scionx3442 / July 22, 2013 5:48 AM PDT

We have a samsung un46f7100 with a Time Warner Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300hdc box - remotes don't work together, we are able to get some semblance of integration though. It pulls in the TV Guide and Programming data, but blanks out and does nothing when you try to actually change to a channel. Any thoughts on this? Is there a list of boxes that may actually work in combo with TVs?

Collapse -
Similar issue
by 91AD / August 1, 2013 4:10 AM PDT

I have a pace RNG200n cable box and a samsung un65f8000. I too cannot seem for the life of me to get these 2 components talking. The frustration is that Samsung seems to know nothing about this, and there isnt much support on the internet for this. Did you happen to find a solution?

Collapse -
Same problems for me
by jamiegla1 / September 29, 2013 1:56 AM PDT

I also have a Samsung UN55F8000 with an AT&T UVerse box. I can sometimes get the "smart remote" to flip the channels up and down. The only way i can do this is by putting the IR blaster next to the cable box. I discovered this by searching forums and apparently has something to do with excess IR noise being emitted from the TV. I can also get it to show the UVerse guide but it will not actually change to a channel when you select it. The UVerse remote works fine though. Seems like a waste of that fancy smart remote.

Collapse -
Answer
Samsung Smart tv remote and comcast STB
by djbacon01 / July 25, 2014 1:23 PM PDT
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/howtoguide/N0000058/13616/161876/Y/

Follow these instructions it works.

After setting up the comcast STB - select SETUP from the SAMUNG Smart Remote Menu > MENU> SYSTEM > SETUP>

It will basically restart your TV. Go throught the remote set up. It will try to sync the remote and the STB several times trying channel up and down. Tell it NO, 3 times. until pressing up down on the channel changer affects your STB

It will work after several SW changes to your remote.

Works great now. Botch to set up, definitely not clear....But definintely possible.
Collapse -
Answer
Samsung
by Punisher40 / October 27, 2015 7:05 PM PDT

Samsung

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!